Why become a member? ×

2021 midlands bass bash! 4th september Date Confirmed

jebroad

6 hours ago, Richard R said:

TESTERS REQUIRED for a Virtual Bass Bash

The sort of thing I have discussed with  @jebroad and @ped  would be like an interactive seminar. Ideally we would get a couple of people to present something, either a product demo, or a technique, or a workshop tour from their mobile (that would be cool), or just "show us your bass", and then there is an open forum for people to ask questions.  I think this could be quite fun, and we could run them while in lockdown.

The technology will work, what we need is a bunch of folks willing to see how easy they found it to use. Ahead of a proper VBash,  I'd like at least a dozen willing volunteers  to try it and see what they think of using MS Teams.  Lots of options are available, and everyone has their favourite, but I had to pick one that I know will scale and is free, so this was it 🙂.  If it doesn't suit, then we can change, but we need to actually run one first to see what the pros and cons are. I have the team set up, and have tested it small scale.

The proposed date for this test, or two dates if we have enough interest are

• Friday 3rd April - in the evening
  • Saturday 4th April - late afternoon or evening

If you're interested then please PM me with an email address I can use to invite you into the team. Also let me know what device you would intend to join on.  I'll then invite you to the team, and post a list of participants here, without the emails obviously.   (If you want to maintain anonymity or separation of concerns then just set up a new email address for this. I set up [email protected] just to provide separation from my main email account)

Cheers all,

Rich

Wow, I’m up for that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Richard R said:

TESTERS REQUIRED for a Virtual Bass Bash

So far we have:

@Bassman Sam@Andyjr1515, @Len_derby, and I hope still @jebroad & @ped

@Oldman - PM me with an email address

A few more would be good.  Currently no preferences for Friday or Saturday, so probably Friday.

Rich

PM'd.

Not sure if we've got the capacity yet.  (2gb/month mobile data connection).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

PM'd.

Not sure if we've got the capacity yet.  (2gb/month mobile data connection).

I think it's about 1.5GB/hour or a bit more.  I'll see if I can measure usage in a real conference tomorrow, and post here.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Richard R said:

My daughter's 1.5 hour Teams session used 897MB according to the  Win10 Networkd stats. So not as much as expected, but not insignificant

I suspect my 2.8Mbps connection wouldn't be up to it, especially if anyone else in this lockdown zone wants to go online...

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I suspect my 2.8Mbps connection wouldn't be up to it, especially if anyone else in this lockdown zone wants to go online...

Teams will optimise quality depending on the bandwidth available, the wider the pipe the higher the quality video it will use to that endpoint. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/prepare-network)    Group video calling (540p videos on 1080p screen) is 1.1Mbps/2Mbps.    So  worth a try.  

@SpondonBassed was concerned about breaching a data limit than the transfer speed.

Pass.

It would use up all of Jack's Internet for the month.  He's already stuffed with Apple's enormous updates exceeding his allowance.  Not user-friendly at all.

My own connection is fairly low speed and I don't ever stream anything over it.

Enjoy yourselves chaps and we'll see you later in real life all being well.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Richard R said:

D'OH!

Facepalm

Friday 3rd APRIL at 8pm.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

You're not supposed to touch your face! :o

:D

Edited by Teebs
  • Haha 4

Yes - 8pm this Friday OK with me. 

I've downloaded the app but then it started asking about all sorts of accounts which I haven't got round to understanding or sorting yet - but I have the rest of the week to do that (you see, Corvid-19 has given us all some time to actually PLAN our lives for more than 45 minutes at a time).   :)

My line should be fine - we've done a few longish multi-user skype calls in recent weeks and it didn't miss a beat.

Andy

• Like 1

It would appear my download speed is 13Mb and upload is 5Mb, I think I need a refund 😱.

Good to go (I think) 

Got a few health issues ongoing at the moment so depending on my impending Tonsillectomy (yes at my age!) there could be voice as well as comment, ooer missus!

Edited by Oldman

So far we have:

@Bassman Sam@Andyjr1515, @Len_derby, and I hope still @jebroad & @ped

Added @Oldman and @nickmew 

Added another +1 who isn't (yet) on BC

Time confirmed at 8PM THIS FRIDAY (whatever date that is 😄 )  Start up and log into Teams with the email address a few minutes before and I'll kick off the call when most people are in.

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 1

Sorry guys, going to have to pull out. I'm classed as a essential  worker, I deliver bog rolls. I have to do a  round trip from Cheshire to London on Friday. It means I won't get back until late Friday evening. I blame it on the panic buyers. Long may they suffer from ring rust.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Bassman Sam said:

Sorry guys, going to have to pull out. I'm classed as a essential  worker, I deliver bog rolls. I have to do a  round trip from Cheshire to London on Friday. It means I won't get back until late Friday evening. I blame it on the panic buyers. Long may they suffer from ring rust.

On behalf of Klingon sufferers everywhere:

THANK YOU!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Len_derby said:

I’ve downloaded Teams and tried to start.  I’m getting the message seen below. Do we have to have a Microsoft 365 account to be able to use Teams?imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2

Running on an iPad on iOS 13.3.1

810E6EE5-51F0-4B93-91A3-08195588B4C7.jpeg

Most likely I fat-fingered your email address. I'll check when I am at a PC.

• Like 1