Why become a member? ×

2021 midlands bass bash! 4th september Date Confirmed

jebroad

8 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That gap is winding me up like no business!

Fixed. Updated list with the gap (and me) removed.

1. @jebroad Dingwall, Squire silver jazz, schecter fiver, ashdown 8x10, whatever heads I can dig out

2. @Len_derby  . Swift Lite bass. A couple of raffle prizes

3. @Andyjr1515 No idea what I'll be bringing bass-wise, but I'll definitely be bringing me (and maybe @Len_derby and maybe @SpondonBassed?) 

4. @Teebs Hinnocent

5. @Stub Mandrel's (Naughty Jama Corner) - Fender Flea bass, Fender performer plus surprise guest bass(es), Trace Elliot GP11 Mk. 11 1110 Combo, Joyo XVI - 

6. @Richard R's (cheap bit on the side as all the corners are taken) - Brawley Artemis KB14 with steel strings,, EBS Session 60, possibly a bitsa to get some advice on,  scales to weigh basses with, cake, something for the raffle,

Fixed. Updated list with the gap (and me) removed.

1. @jebroad Dingwall, Squire silver jazz, schecter fiver, ashdown 8x10, whatever heads I can dig out

2. @Len_derby  . Swift Lite bass. A couple of raffle prizes

3. @Andyjr1515 No idea what I'll be bringing bass-wise, but I'll definitely be bringing me (and maybe @Len_derby and maybe @SpondonBassed?) 

4. @Teebs Hinnocent

5. @Stub Mandrel's (Naughty Jama Corner) - Fender Flea bass, Fender performer plus surprise guest bass(es), Trace Elliot GP11 Mk. 11 1110 Combo, Joyo XVI - 

6. @Richard R's (cheap bit on the side as all the corners are taken) - Brawley Artemis KB14 with steel strings,, EBS Session 60, possibly a bitsa to get some advice on,  scales to weigh basses with, cake, something for the raffle,

7. Oldman, with his McGregor MOSFET head and MAS cabs, beer virus permitting😱

3 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

As a diabetic I’m in one of the risk groups with this virus so until things improve markedly I’m not going to this or to the SW Bash either, seems the common sense thing to do.

I understand completely.  Our Jack is in a high risk category too so as resident carer I have to behave like I am as well.

Not wanting to tempt fate, I haven't committed to this year's event yet I don't want to think that it's off the cards altogether.

Just now, jebroad said:

Given the current climate of the Coronavirus, I'm considering postponing or cancelling this years violent collision of bassists. 

scrumpymike has just done the same for the SW Bash, @jebroad  

The way it's all going, I think there's an inevitability TBH. 

Have you outlaid any cash yet you wouldn't be able to recoup?  If so, I and I'm sure others would be happy to chip in.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

scrumpymike has just done the same for the SW Bash, @jebroad  

The way it's all going, I think there's an inevitability TBH. 

Have you outlaid any cash yet you wouldn't be able to recoup?  If so, I and I'm sure others would be happy to chip in.

I haven't paid out anything yet so that's not an issue.

• Like 4

I agree we should postpone. Reluctantly as I had a great weekend planned with the Bass Bash and Nick Mason, bit we should.

But we ought to try something creative with technology. A whole day event isn't practical, but how about a virtual bash using Skype or Zoom or such platform?  It would need a few people to agree up front to "present" their gear and demo, and then take questions. I'm not sure what the capabilities of the free platforms are,  but I am looking at them for other uses anyway.

Worth investigating, or dumb idea?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jebroad said:

Given the current climate of the Coronavirus, I'm considering postponing or cancelling this years violent collision of bassists. 

I think postponing is the right thing, as @Andyjr1515 rightly points out, it’s an inevitability. Just hold another one as soon as you can once we have some kind of all clear, we’ll all be right there, had a gas last time.

• Like 4

On 18/03/2020 at 21:59, Richard R said:

I agree we should postpone. Reluctantly as I had a great weekend planned with the Bass Bash and Nick Mason, bit we should.

But we ought to try something creative with technology. A whole day event isn't practical, but how about a virtual bash using Skype or Zoom or such platform?  It would need a few people to agree up front to "present" their gear and demo, and then take questions. I'm not sure what the capabilities of the free platforms are,  but I am looking at them for other uses anyway.

Worth investigating, or dumb idea?

@jebroad, @ped.

I can set up something using MS Teams. This is pretty straightforward,  but I want to run my suggestion past you guys and the mods in general and run a test first. Is there a way to have a multi way PM?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

@jebroad, @ped.

I can set up something using MS Teams. This is pretty straightforward,  but I want to run my suggestion past you guys and the mods in general and run a test first. Is there a way to have a multi way PM?

Only if everyone is a concenting adult

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Haha 2

TESTERS REQUIRED for a Virtual Bass Bash

The sort of thing I have discussed with  @jebroad and @ped  would be like an interactive seminar. Ideally we would get a couple of people to present something, either a product demo, or a technique, or a workshop tour from their mobile (that would be cool), or just "show us your bass", and then there is an open forum for people to ask questions.  I think this could be quite fun, and we could run them while in lockdown.

The technology will work, what we need is a bunch of folks willing to see how easy they found it to use. Ahead of a proper VBash,  I'd like at least a dozen willing volunteers  to try it and see what they think of using MS Teams.  Lots of options are available, and everyone has their favourite, but I had to pick one that I know will scale and is free, so this was it 🙂.  If it doesn't suit, then we can change, but we need to actually run one first to see what the pros and cons are. I have the team set up, and have tested it small scale.

The proposed date for this test, or two dates if we have enough interest are

• Friday 3rd April - in the evening
  • Saturday 4th April - late afternoon or evening

If you're interested then please PM me with an email address I can use to invite you into the team. Also let me know what device you would intend to join on.  I'll then invite you to the team, and post a list of participants here, without the emails obviously.   (If you want to maintain anonymity or separation of concerns then just set up a new email address for this. I set up [email protected] just to provide separation from my main email account)

Cheers all,

Rich

• Like 4