Why become a member? ×

2021 midlands bass bash! 4th september Date Confirmed

jebroad

Once again kudos to @jebroad
for a great event. Numbers were  understandably down but I think we all had a great time.  @Frank Blank
bass by @Jabba_the_gut
was, as you would expect  lovely to behold and play. Nice examples from @Manton Customs
too, the Jewelry Quarter bas was something a bit different and nicely playable. possibilty he will run some build your own bass courses!

Plenty of lovely basses to behold and try, one common thread - almost every amp setup was 'compact'. No shortage of bottom end  the days of the mega-stack are surely ending. Cake of course and an 'everyone's a winner' raffle and much tea and coffee. Thanks to all and everyone for organisation and the generosity to share such grest instruments.

There were rsther more people than my photo suggests but as Frank said  it felt airy znd uncrowded.

20210904_144358.thumb.jpg.98de58d5a4b17d9ee5c219ec9511153e.jpg

You might notice Jez's basses neatly arranged in height order. I spent most of the day resisting the urge to swap the middle two over to start an ocd crisis.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Finally home, Great day well worth the travel and Premier Inn plastic breakfast. Some really nice examples of the Luthier's art. Just need to get in touch with Jabba to sort the exchange of funds and some P&P so I can have a NBD.

That tenor uke sized bass was brilliant.

@jebroad did an excellent job.

What a lovely, kind, generous, helpful bunch.

• Like 2

I only took one photograph:  

20210904_154455.thumb.jpg.d1bc1b81d8c5122f11cb9ad444ed0ddd.jpg

17.5" scale! It sounded great, but I couldn't play it, my fingers were bumping into each other 😅

An unexpected highlight was @dave moffat's bass uke. That I could play, but not as well as @verb, who played it like an acoustic  guitar for a quick rendition of "Smells like Teen Spirit". The five string Mayones sounded great, and I resisted asking @owen if any of his basses were up for sale.

Good to meet up with people and just natter too.

Edited by Richard R
Typo
  • Like 1

Saw (and played) some great basses this afternoon, including those by local builders. Enjoyed playing (in no particular order) a Sadowsky 5, Overwater Progress 5, Fender flea jazz, Fender Performer as well as a Manton medium scale P bass with a really great feeling and comfy neck. In all truth I fell in love with the Sadowsky 5. If this is how it is to be then so be it for I have found a new itch I didn’t know needed scratching before today.

Amongst others, I missed out on playing a Sterling short scale Stingray pictured above and an ash Warwick Corvette much like I once owned. Hopefully next time.

Also, being possibly one of the last bassists to actually experience playing one, I got a late in the day audition on a Sire V7 five string. I was very impressed by it too and they now find themselves on my radar too.

thanks all for a nice bass day. Put me down for the next one. Cheers!

Keir

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Richard R said:

I only took one photograph:  

20210904_154455.thumb.jpg.d1bc1b81d8c5122f11cb9ad444ed0ddd.jpg

17.5" scale! It sounded great, but I couldn't play it, my fingers were bumping into each other 😅

An unexpected highlight was @dave moffat's bass uke. That I could play, but not as well as @verb, who played it like an acoustic  guitar for a quick rendition of "Smells like Teen Spirit". The five string Mayones sounded great, and I resisted asking @owen if any of his basses were up for sale.

Good to meet up with people and just natter too.

He did try, I was there 

fabulous instrument @petecarlton

i had to get really close to work out that the top has three colours in it, not two. Amazingly tight strings, not all floppy as I feared 

Edited by Geek99
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dub_junkie said:

Also, being possibly one of the last bassists to actually experience playing one, I got a late in the day audition on a Sire V7 five string. I was very impressed by it too and they now find themselves on my radar too.

Actually I’ve never tried one so you’re ahead of me at least 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dub_junkie said:

In all truth I fell in love with the Sadowsky 5. If this is how it is to be then so be it for I have found a new itch I didn’t know needed scratching before today.

If it is any comfort to you, I am now locked into a CLF L1000 search. Or how to turn my MM5 into an L1000 + 1.

I am gutted to have missed the Sire. I have been wanting to try one for some time.