Why become a member? ×

2021 midlands bass bash! 4th september Date Confirmed

jebroad

On 22/05/2021 at 12:27, Richard R said:

No but I am a runner... anything is possible lol

Edited by Sarah5string
  • Like 1

Possibly silly question: at a Bash, do people play each other's basses? It won't bother me, since I have a cheap bass, but if I brought a Fodera along, I would be paranoid about belt buckles etc. One major reason why I'm hoping to attend is to see and possibly try a variety of instruments, since the music shops here are not great at the best of times.

Edited by bnt
typo

34 minutes ago, bnt said:

Possibly silly question: at a Bash, do people play each other's basses? It won't bother me, since I have a cheap bass, but if I brought a Fodera along, I would be paranoid about belt buckles etc. One major reason why I'm hoping to attend is to see and possibly try a variety of instruments, since the music shops here are not great at the best of times.

Every Bass Bash i've been to, everyone is happy to try out every bass there and everyone treats every one's bass with respect. I might have used every a bit much but everyone is very respectful of everyones gear.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, bnt said:

If you  read the headline about events you will notice the last sentence:image.thumb.png.ab91a27bab0cadbd3dd92af11878a8f8.png

This is specifically to avoid buckle rash.

Joking apart everyone is careful of everyone's instruments, and wandering back from the cakes to find someone  you have never met playing your bass 10^8 times better than you can and thoroughly enjoying it is part of the fun.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, bnt said:

I think there's an unwritten rule - make sure your t-shirt is hanging out over buckles/metal jeans buttons.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, bnt said:

I had the same worry as you. I'm well known locally for not letting anyone play my basses and I did bring three alembic basses to the bash last time. I had a hard time switching off my paranoia but managed to but I'm not sure I would do it again. I have to say that everyone who asked to play was respectful and could probably see the fear on my face. I didn't play many other basses though, again that is not one of my things to do. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jazzyvee said:

I had the same worry as you. I'm well known locally for not letting anyone play my basses and I did bring three alembic basses to the bash last time. I had a hard time switching off my paranoia but managed to but I'm not sure I would do it again. I have to say that everyone who asked to play was respectful and could probably see the fear on my face. I didn't play many other basses though, again that is not one of my things to do. 

I did enjoy them :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bnt said:

People do play each other’s basses, it’s one of the best parts about the events. I keep an eye out for such things as I have a couple of basses I’d like to keep in good nick but no one I’ve ever encountered has had a belt buckle on. Perhaps, as bass players, we realise this and don’t wear such things to Bashes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jazzyvee said:

They were truly stunning instruments, good man for bringing them along and allowing people to play.  I didn't dare play them. Not because I have a metal belt, but because I couldn't possibly have done them justice.  And you didn't look terrified, more "justifiably wary" 🙂

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

People do play each other’s basses, it’s one of the best parts about the events. I keep an eye out for such things as I have a couple of basses I’d like to keep in good nick but no one I’ve ever encountered has had a belt buckle on. Perhaps, as bass players, we realise this and don’t wear such things to Bashes

True actually, I don't think anyone was wearing a metal buckle now I think about it. Or everyone had their shirt hanging out.

Edited by Richard R

On 24/05/2021 at 20:15, bnt said:

Possibly silly question

Let several people have a go on my Wal (which is now officially priceless) .. one of them found something wrong with it, which is now fixed and it's a better bass as a result 😁

Edited by NickA
  • Like 2

Or “suspenders”, as they’re called in the USA. Tony Levin wears them because they help support his Stick, and he told the story of the looks he got when he tried to find some in a shop in England. 😌

• Haha 1