Why become a member? ×

2021 midlands bass bash! 4th september Date Confirmed

jebroad

VAT only applies to first sale, so that would not be relevant for used instruments. I'll check before I travel, but I'm fairly sure that a single instrument for personal use, not being imported, doesn't attract customs charges.

There is such a thing as a musical instrument certificate, but that has to do with CITEs and there are exemptions for musical instruments, so you won't get fined over e.g. a Bubinga top.

PS: no carnet needed for portable instruments, says the MU.

Edited by bnt

So are we saying that we are aiming for 4 Sept 21 at Doveridge?

I will say, yes, I hope to be there, but I have 2 grandchildren due that weekend, so things could change very rapidly (not twins, just both daughters due within days of each other - you couldn't make it up). 

In the event I am able to come along I could bring stuff - electric and acoustic basses/amp(s)/pedal board, depends how much room you have and whether I need to book in advance.

I could also bring cake - I imagine that will not be dependant on available space/booking constraints 😉

• Like 3

On 23/03/2021 at 11:59, Teebs said:
  1. @Richard R - Brawley Artemis 4, Brawley Artemis 5,  EBS Session60 amp, something to weigh basses with.
  2. @Frank Blank - Rob Allen Mouse Fretless, Rob Allen Mouse Fretted, Ibanez SRC6, QSC K12.2, HX Stomp.
  3. @Stub Mandrel - Fender Performer, Hohner Jack Custom V, Deathburger (HB kit build), TE 1110 combo?
  4. @petecarlton - Mayones Cali4 "Puzzle" Bass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYAvWZGwc4s&t=13s&ab_channel=BassTheWorld.com
  5. @Teebs PRS Kingfisher bass, Godin Passion RG-4 RN (It haz arrived! :D)
  6. @SpondonBassed - Jack.  (That's not short for Jack all, it's just that I can't decide until nearer the time.)
  7. @Machines - Sire M5 / Yamaha RBXJM2 / GenzBenz Neo Pak / EICH112XS
  8. @bassmansam - Rickenbacker 4003s, Eppy Thunderbird Vintage Pro and Ashdown ABM 500 2x10 combo
  9. @jebroad - Not-fender jazz (maybe), squire silver series jazz, old Kay SC, Dingwall combustion, Ashdown 8x10 (Maybe)
  10. @Jabba_the_gut - 27" mini basses, Short scale telebass, whatever else I build by then, TC RS210 combo. Cakes
  11. @Oldman -RUACH NT 35” Unlined Fretless Custom, head and cab
  12. @NickA Since the last one..  got a second Wal with an extra string and those weird metal things in the fingerboard ( supposed to help you play in tune I think, but cause all kinds of problems ).  So, yes, please. I'll be there;  Couple of Wals and some pjb amps.
  13. @Geek99 - POSSIBLE ... Ampeg AMP, bass-doc built relic P, homemade jazz with geddy lee pups, zoom b2.1
  14. @bnt - TENTATIVE - Harley Benton MP-4EB Enhanced "Shamberg" w/ EMGs and its own Ryanair seat, tc SpectraDrive.

I probably won't be coming but I thought it would make more sense having numbers rather that bullets....

Please, no gunfight puns...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, flaxholmelis said:

So are we saying that we are aiming for 4 Sept 21 at Doveridge?

I will say, yes, I hope to be there, but I have 2 grandchildren due that weekend, so things could change very rapidly (not twins, just both daughters due within days of each other - you couldn't make it up). 

In the event I am able to come along I could bring stuff - electric and acoustic basses/amp(s)/pedal board, depends how much room you have and whether I need to book in advance.

I could also bring cake - I imagine that will not be dependant on available space/booking constraints 😉

Stomach size ? That’s an “available space” constraint. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I probably won't be coming but I thought it would make more sense having numbers rather that bullets....

Please, no gunfight puns...

But we can't load up, load up, load up with rubber numbers now can we?  It would be good to see you there if you are able after all that's been happening.

9 hours ago, bnt said:

VAT only applies to first sale, so that would not be relevant for used instruments. 

PS: no carnet needed for portable instruments, says the MU.

Not quite true on the VAT.  "There is VAT on second-hand goods if the seller is VAT registered. Generally, businesses are required to register for VAT once their taxable turnover reaches £85,000 for 2019/2020. "

The carnet article is interesting too:  "Minister Dinenage confirmed that a simple ‘oral declaration’ could be made by musicians who are travelling with portable musical instruments and that a costly ATA Carnet would not be required. Musicians transporting instruments and equipment by car, van or truck would require a Carnet, however,..."

But you're one bloke with a bass so you're fine. See you in September!  :drinks:

Edited by Richard R
Apparently there is a VAT margin scheme as well, so you might not have to charge VAT even if you are registered.But this is Basschat not VATChat, so it's relegated to this footnote.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Richard R said:

I guess you would need a carnet to declare what you bring into the country and you show the same when you leave. If you haven't got the same items on exit then you would be charged the import tax. Someone here will have toured internationally outside of the EU and know the rules. 

I seem to remember an old Top Gear special where they get stuck at some African border because one of the cameras wasn't the same as on the paperwork. ☹

I remember filming abroad back in the day.  It used to be the job of the assistant cameraman (it was pretty well always a man in those days) and the PA (Production Assistant - pretty well always a woman then) to ensure that the gear and the carnet matched going out and coming back.  Often a three to four hour wait both ways to get through customs.  It makes me laugh (with a sardonic ha ha ha) that we've gone backwards after twenty or thirty years of glitch-free travel.  Still, the NHS is getting an extra £350 million a week, so that's a comfort.

On 30/03/2021 at 21:59, Richard R said:

There is VAT on second-hand goods

There's a separate thread about this.  Lost in the depths of chat.  I take lots of kit around the world for work and need a Carnet; can get away without one usually, but sometimes have to pay a BIG retainer fee that's refunded when I leave.   If you buy from the EU there will be VAT to pay additional to the cost - but that cost may get discounted if the seller is VAT registered.  Boring stinky poo all due to a big brexity balls up

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
The following is from an email I just got from the venue -

"On behalf of the Village Hall Committee, we are delighted to announce that the Village Hall will be re-opening on the 17th May. 

In accordance with Government guidelines, there are some minor restrictions we must all observe, ie face masks must be worn; a maximum of 30 people at any one time can attend and spacing of a metre between attendees.

We hope that in the not too distant future, these restrictions will also be lifted."

Looks hopeful. So long as nowt changes- worse case scenario would be masks on and distancing but if we still trust bozzer's plan - should be almost normal.
Edited by jebroad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

I don't know where the hell Doveridge is but count me in.

Derbyshire I’m told, but I can’t say I’m familiar with it either... makes me think it might be the closest I get to going on hols this year though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 19/05/2021 at 13:29, Richard R said:

As we seem to be settled on 4th September,  can @jebroad update the title of the thread?

Or is that tempting fate...?

I'm holding off on changing the title until I've got the deposit down for the hall (should be in the next week or so). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dave moffat said:

Keeping an eye on this thread, hoping to make it. Ibanez SR800 and Excelsior Uke.

It’ll be good to meet you if you do Dave. It’s a heck of a distance! That’ll be a great addition to the ‘where I walked today’ thread! 😂

• Haha 1

On 17/05/2021 at 18:42, Andyjr1515 said:

Close to Uttoxeter.  20 something miles from Cannock, @Sarah5string - easy run.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Doveridge+Village+Hall,+Sand+Ln,+Doveridge,+Ashbourne+DE6+5JQ/@52.9047614,-1.8241127,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x487a1089ba09e091:0x106fe27fc4db0220

Not an easy run from Cannock with a 5 string in one hand and a cab strapped to your back. Unless @Sarah5string is ex SAS...

• Haha 2