Why become a member? ×

Made in Stone, Stone roses film

jazzmanb

On Channel 4 at the mo,on catch up

I was around when they were in the 90s  and liked the stuff I heard without being a devotee

I was genuinely surprised watching this at how good a band they were /are .Some great rehearsal footage and Mani's sound is too die for .Using old Epiphones and tasty Boogie rigs .Lovely rumble on my TV set up 

Worth a watch ,great live jam near the end at the Heaton park gig .Mani really holding it all down 

• Thanks 1

Reni came in to my old work testing out the Roland TD-30 kits around the time of that reunion. What a drummer - very musical.

And Mani came in from time to time.

both lovely blokes.

One of the Piano salesmen chucked Ian Brown and his kids out though, oblivious to it all - I nearly died of embarrassment when that happened.

me and Dave the Manager apologised profusely...he laughed it off “he’s got a stick up his a*se, him” or something to that effect 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ead said:

For some reason I never really 'got' the Stone Roses, I must persist I guess.

Erm leaving it a bit late given that they've split up, no-one goes to see rock any more, etc. Just went past the Hacienda on the train earlier... now posh flats. Last time I saw Ian Brown, it was in Warrington's bowling alley.

I did catch some of the programme. They weren't bad and had  some reasonable tunes but I never understood all the music media  hype. Same goes for The Smiths. Like so many rock bands IMO they'd have been much better if they'd had  decent singers. The musicians in  each band were all good players though and I liked the  grooves Mani and Reni laid down.

• Like 1

I've got it "recorded" - am looking forward to seeing it.
I was never a huge devotee - but really like some of their songs.
Saw Ian Brown solo once. Wasn't expecting too much, but he was really good

Yes, Mani is a great player. Spot on @la bam - definitely hear the "songs under songs" not just in his playing, but sometimes within the whole sound of the band :)

21 hours ago, jazzmanb said:

I was genuinely surprised watching this at how good a band they were /are .Some great rehearsal footage and Mani's sound is too die for .Using old Epiphones and tasty Boogie rigs .Lovely rumble on my TV set up 

Worth a watch ,great live jam near the end at the Heaton park gig .Mani really holding it all down 

Huge Mani fan here, and that black and white rehearsal footage of them after getting back together still gives me goose bumps, seeing the connection and smiles between them, is a joy. I actually bought that black Epiphone bass from Mani that he used at those rehearsals and the early gigs. 

Reni is also one of the best drummers I’ve ever heard or seen. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rick's Fine '52 said:

Huge Mani fan here, and that black and white rehearsal footage of them after getting back together still gives me goose bumps, seeing the connection and smiles between them, is a joy. I actually bought that black Epiphone bass from Mani that he used at those rehearsals and the early gigs. 

Reni is also one of the best drummers I’ve ever heard or seen. 

Waterfall in those rehearsals sounds like heyday Simon and Garfunkel .The drums and those backing vocals are amazing 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, visog said:

Erm leaving it a bit late given that they've split up, no-one goes to see rock any more, etc. Just went past the Hacienda on the train earlier... now posh flats. Last time I saw Ian Brown, it was in Warrington's bowling alley.

Thankfully all this new fangled LPs and CDs and apparently even videos exist.  Who knew it would be so easy to appreciate older bands? :)

• Haha 1