Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN: Prodipe BL21 Lanen Double Bass Microphone
£70

Prodipe BL21 Lanen Double Bass Microphone

They say (see www.prodipe.co.uk)
The BL21 has been designed for double bass.    
We have perfected an electret capsule that can take up to 140dB. At that level of performance the capsule will preserve the full harmonic envelope and warmth of your instrument.        
Double basses come in various sizes, so they need a fully adaptable clamp. We have created a mounting system which is flexible, ingenious and easy to attach. The mic's flexible gooseneck allows you to place it at the very heart of the sound.        
The clamp also provides excellent protection from vibration, so no risk of dents or scratching.        

The strengths of BL21 Lanen Double Bass mic        

• Excellent natural sound.        
  • Very high acceptable sound pressure level (140 dB).        
  • Flexible gooseneck for fast, easy mounting.        
  • Lightweight rubber clamp specific to the instrument.        
  • Very high level of protection from instrument vibration.        
  • Mini XLR to XLR connector adaptor ensures that the mic lead is properly positioned on your instrument (48V phantom power supply required for wired connection).       

I used this for some recordings which worked out very well with a quite neutral sound
I also used it on a couple of gigs blended with a Full Circle pickup through a Zoom A3 - the mic added some natural sound at quite reasonable volume levels.        

prodpipe01.jpg.fab0e1d76ef4f85d233622410d994a0b.jpg

prodpipe03.jpg.24df8ae8d4fcbefd9f1e880df655889d.jpg

prodpipe02.jpg.20cfd698fabf80f757e39f836568f329.jpg

Edited by Subfeeder

• 1 month later...
On 13/05/2019 at 11:15, Subfeeder said:

I used this for some recordings which worked out very well with a quite neutral sound

Hi mate, just wondered what you meant about a neutral sound when using to record.

I'm looking for a microphone to record an acoustic upright bass. I have a Realist Lifeline piezo pickup installed on the wing that I could possibly blend.

Also, on the website it says " (48V phantom power supply required for wired connection). " I don't really know what that means - do you need a separate power supply for this mic>

Thanks, Pete

Hi Pete,
By Neutral Sound I meant no big EQ spikes noticeable and reasonably true to what I expect my bass to sound like. All somewhat subjective I know but if you go to http://www.prodipe.co.uk/mics/2140-bl21-lanen-contrabass.html and click on Specifications there is a frequency response chart.

48V phantom power is often required for Condenser Mics - most mixing desks will provide this through the XLR cable, as will some computer audio interfaces (The Scarlet 2i2 and similar) and some double bass preamps. Failing that, Google "48v phantom power" and you should get some options for external power supplies that can be purchased.
I used the mic with a Zoom A3 preamp which provides 48v phantom power and is excellent, but unfortunately no longer in production, although available 2nd hand on ebay etc and well worth the hunt as it can be used to blend a mic and pickup together.

Thanks for the enquiry and hope this helps

John

• Thanks 1