Why become a member? ×

little advice on a beginners pack

lowhand_mike

ok my daughter wants a bass for xmas, she is only 8 but has been messing around on my Ibanez and now wants her own.
so i had a look and thought a bass starter pack would "do" for now but then i saw this [url="http://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/productSquierAffinityJBass-121-27.html"]http://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/productSquie...ass-121-27.html[/url] and thought that it would be pretty good and i might be able to nick it for a couple of gigs.

so any suggestions or comments

cheers

Mike

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='354904' date='Dec 15 2008, 11:49 AM']ok my daughter wants a bass for xmas, she is only 8 but has been messing around on my Ibanez and now wants her own.
so i had a look and thought a bass starter pack would "do" for now but then i saw this [url="http://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/productSquierAffinityJBass-121-27.html"]http://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/productSquie...ass-121-27.html[/url] and thought that it would be pretty good and i might be able to nick it for a couple of gigs.

so any suggestions or comments

cheers

Mike[/quote]

I have the P-bass version of that bass and it is astonishingly good for the price, I have used it as a back up for my Jazz on many occasions and never let me down.

If you don't mind it in black it's £30 cheaper on SoundsLive.co.uk!

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Squier-Stop-Dreaming,-Start-Playing-Set:-Affinity-Jazz--Bass-with-Rumble™-15-Amp~ID~6838.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~S...Amp~ID~6838.asp[/url]

I think it's a wise move for anyone learning to do so on an instrument that's an industry standard , few frills ,workhorse. You can't break rules unless you know what they are and a Jazz is perfect for that.

The slimmer J neck will help anyone with small hands too. It's still a big instrument but if she's been noodling on your Ibanez she's obviously not put off by that.

right, it turned up at the weekend. i'll give a full review once she's got it and i've had a proper play on it.
but first impressions
it all comes in a mahoosive box, which i was a little concerned about what with the amp being in there and all(also keeping that hidden for the next few days will be fun). but fear not the packaging is top notch, nothing can move in there. there are in fact 3 bass guitar boxes in there, one is empty, one (in the middle) has the bass and the last one houses the gig bag. then theres the accessories box that is shaped to lock in with the angle of the guitar boxes and then the amp on top of that, very neat.
now the main thing, the bass.
i only got about 10 minutes to have a look and very quick noodle but first impressions were above what i expected. the fit all looked good with no big gaps or anything. the finish is really nice, ,satin type neck and good gloss finish on the body. neck has a really nice feel.
one thing i did notice is that with the quick noodle i had unplugged the bass seems to have a nice growl to it, must be the size of body or summint. for a bass this cheap i expected alot less and i'm over the moon (i think it will be making a few live appearances)
i guess all will be revealed when we plug it in so more on that in a couple of days.
thanks again, just hope shes as happy as me.

I bought the P-Bass version of this pack about 3 years ago as a complete beginner. I learned quickly from a book that came with it, and did my first paid gig with the same rig earlier this year. Several bass players ( including a pro ) picked it up at jam nights at our local and commented on what a nice bass it was to play. Sounds good too and remarkably similar to the "Real" Fender P that I have now, just not quite so much low end depth and resonance.

[quote name='aceuggy' post='361002' date='Dec 22 2008, 02:25 PM']A bit late now as you've already bought it, but for what it's worth I bought the P bass version of this not so long ago. The bass is fine in fact very good, but I felt that the amp let it down.[/quote]
i'm not expecting much from the amp, just enough to get some sound to work with and i have my ashdown should we require any more volume but i doubt it.
also i've wanted to have a play on a jazz for a while now so we both kinda get a xmas prezzie out of this :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='361817' date='Dec 23 2008, 11:30 AM']i'm not expecting much from the amp, just enough to get some sound to work with and i have my ashdown should we require any more volume but i doubt it.
also i've wanted to have a play on a jazz for a while now so we both kinda get a xmas prezzie out of this :)[/quote]

How are you & your daughter liking the bass? I think I'm going to get one of these....

Cheers

Mikey

• 2 weeks later...

got to say this bass is amazing for the money

took it to practice on monday and used it straight off.
firstly it just felt right, maybe i got a good'un but what ever it just felt nice.
the neck has a lovely finish and is a little thicker than my ibanez but i just was SO easy to play, the strings are a little lighter than i usually use and i was a little worried about depth of tone from them. HELL no, this bass has a massive tone to it, so much so i had to back it down on the gain as i've never seen the VU on my ashdown move so much. it has a lovely growl, almost dirty but nice.
I do have to say i have never played a jazz before so i dont have anything to compare it to but i cant recommend this bass highly enough, will be using it at gigs, if my daughter lets me that is. and i got comments on the tone from the rest of the band. not bad for a 100 quid bass.

just thought id give an update.

oh my daughter likes it too, we just need to find a bit more time to practice.