Why become a member? ×

Bright Onion Pedals - terrific service

franzbassist

I've just received a custom pedal from James and wanted to let everyone know what great service I received from him.

Originally, I just wanted a simple A/B switch with volume control, but with an added tuner mute.  James said no problem and sent me a design and quote.

Then I realised I could add in the EQ switching for my Little Marcus amp to reduce clutter on the floor at gigs.  Again, a revised design and (very reasonable) quote sent through in a matter of hours.

Pedal arrived today.  Looks terrific.  Kudos to James and BOP! :)

6E29A1F6-CDCD-4BF2-AAD6-5AC9C8EF67A7.jpeg

Edited by franzbassist
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Great stuff.  Bright Onion built me a custom kill switch with a phase switch for my EBS Billy Sheehan pedal. Transformed the tone.  A lot cheaper than buying the revised EBS pedal that features the phase switch.

For enquiring minds, the Sheehan pedal has two channels, clean and drive which were purposely designed to be out of phase to accentuate the mid range. It also has a compressor circuit after the two channels are mixed together along with discrete fx loops for each channel. Unfortunately, it's either all on or off. So a few of us enterprising fanboys stuck an ABY switch in the dirty loop so we could leave the pedal engaged with its compression and switch the drive channel in and out at will. But that out of phase tone just didn't work for me all of the time. Great for Sheehan style shredding, but not as an all round drive. 

I asked Bright Onion to build a kill switch but with the LED reversed, so that it comes on whilst bypassed (drive on) and off when engaged (drive off).  The phase switch was the icing on the cake. Totally transforms the tone.

IIRC the price wasn't far off a bog standard branded ABY pedal. Certainly a lot cheaper than the Radial Bigshot ABY pedal I was eyeing up that would also work.