Why become a member? ×

Greetings from the Wolds.

Greefy67

Hi,

Intro Post. I’m Alan. I’ve had an encore bass sitting in the corner of the living room for over 12 years. And I never really liked it. So I’ve never learned to play it.

A slightly drunk late night eBay purchase a few weeks back saw the addition of an Ibanez SR300E iron pewter. I got it for £60 so I wasn’t expecting anything special. It was and is, mint. Fast forward a couple of weeks and I’m visiting my poorly dad. My little sister is one of those annoying people that can pick an instrument up and learn it to public performance standard in a couple of weeks. Flute, sax, guitar, piano. You name it, she can do it. I love her to bits..but I do wish I had 5% of her abilities. Anyway, under a pile of clothes and hats, an unloved, dusty, grimy, sticky and in places a little rusty. A Squire affinity P bass. I’m guessing about 2007. That’s come home with me.

I still can’t play. White stripes, game of thrones. Stand by me. You get the picture. But I’m having fun. Flatwounds on the Squier. Black beauties on the Ibanez. I even put some fender roundwounds on the encore. (It’s still horrid)

my living room is looking good. But there is space for another bass. And I’ll be buying one when and if my ability ever deserves it.

Or not. I don’t think there’s a lot wrong with what I have. But there’s so many pretty instruments out there :D

thanks for reading my waffle.

Al

4066BEF4-D9C2-4D04-9F6B-C4E0117A3C81.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi Alan

Whereabouts in the wolds? I may not be too far away from you on the Lincs coast if you fancy a jam some time. Or just chips...

Youll find a wealth of knowledge on here and not a few opinions on most subjects...

Welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2019 at 06:30, Frank Blank said:

Welcome! Your carpet/wallpaper combo is giving me acid flashbacks man. Keep playing, whatever you do, just keep playing.

I’m renting from the village vicar. He likes it, I can’t change it. It’s a roof while I get my life back together after a messy divorce. Beggars can’t be choosers 😂

On 13/05/2019 at 10:46, Skinnyman said:

Hi Alan

Whereabouts in the wolds? I may not be too far away from you on the Lincs coast if you fancy a jam some time. Or just chips...

Youll find a wealth of knowledge on here and not a few opinions on most subjects...

Welcome!

Just up the road dude. Holton Le Clay. If you can recommend a decent bass instructor that would be awesome. I’ve got a bucketload of enthusiasm, but unfortunately that isn’t matched by any ability 😃

2 minutes ago, Greefy67 said:

Just up the road dude. Holton Le Clay. If you can recommend a decent bass instructor that would be awesome. I’ve got a bucketload of enthusiasm, but unfortunately that isn’t matched by any ability 😃

Small world! I'll drop you a PM....

Hey Alan. I'm 18 months into the putting  it back together. Still living in someone else's house. 

It gets easier. Music is a wonderful distraction therapy. 

You articulated a thought which occurred to me today. Why so many basses I thought, why can the itch never be scratched. And yes you're right, because basses are beautiful and there's always a new beauty waiting to be discovered. 

Edited by stewblack
Typo
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Greefy67 said:

I’m renting from the village vicar. He likes it, I can’t change it. It’s a roof while I get my life back together after a messy divorce. Beggars can’t be choosers 😂

Dude, I sure wasn't criticising that wallpaper, it's simply epic.

Hi there and welcome.  I live south of you in Sutton-on-Sea. Play in a local band called Revelry and we sometimes play in Louth. We are on Facebook (Revelrybandlincolnshire) where we publish our gig dates. May see you around somewhere. Paddy.