Why become a member? ×

Dave Swift, The Captain Meets Video

madshadows

Dave is a diamond geezer and has one of the best gigs in the world. The list of artists he's played with on Later... is jawdropping.

Is it just me, or was anyone else expecting him to have a much deeper voice, given that he's about 9ft tall? :lol: :lol:

• Haha 1

Met Dave on many occasions and he's always been a gentleman, down to Earth and willing to spend time with us "lesser mortals". 

Many thanks (again) to Dave for facilitating the signatures on the raffle prizes for the Herts Bash a couple of years ago.

16 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Why is the Anderton’s guy called the captain ?

I believe it's cos Lee is the owner of the shop (inherited from his father and grandfather) and got the nickname "Captain Anderton" as he's the boss.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I’m not on YouTube, mr sarcastic 

I just assumed there was some interesting back story - I’ll just mind my own business then 

When he started making vids with Rob Chapman aka Chappers, Rob thought that Lee needed a nickname so he started calling him the Captain. Simple as that!

Not related as I haven't seen this video, but generally I find those videos intensely annoying.  I've watched a few as they've had gear on that I've been interested in, but mostly I sit there fast forwarding and seething at how irritating the people on it are and how vacuous the "banter" is.

On 12/05/2019 at 19:09, Rich said:

Is it just me, or was anyone else expecting him to have a much deeper voice, given that he's about 9ft tall? :lol: :lol:

He walked passed me at the LBGS a couple of years ago. I am 6ft and he was just a little taller than me, however, when I looked down he was wearing a pair of Demonia style platform boots that give you about 3.5” of extra height. Public evidence shows he is a good man, just not that tall. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Swift comes across as a great person as well as a top bass player. I really enjoyed the video. Lee too, he might not know his euphonium from his tuba but his shop appears to be succeeding where too many others have failed. He must be doing something right.

Or wrong. I fancy trying a 6-string now, as I have to read parts and I have known for a while that what Dave said about 6 strings helping is true. Another bass when I am trying to thin the collection? Oops.

Edited by DBerriff

The Rob Chapman videos in Korea, when he visited the factory where his guitars are made, is also very interesting. I was particularly surprised at how much "human input" went into producing budget and mid-priced guitars, I had assumed (wrongly, it appears) that they'd be 99% CNC produced.