Why become a member? ×

Bass for beginner

Ant1972

32 minutes ago, StevieE said:

You can download a tuner app onto your phone (assuming you have a smartphone) and don't worry about plugging in, I play acoustically more often than not 👍🏻

Good shout... Downloaded an app, so tuning sorted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ant1972 said:

or the power converter (so I can't plug the amp into the mains, coz it ships with EU plug on it).

Should be a standard "kettle" lead - normally its just a fused plug with a three pin socket at the other end - they're not specific to amps and you'll probably have something suitable in the house (lead from an old PC or monitor?) - if not your local hardware shop should be able to supply one.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Should be a standard "kettle" lead - normally its just a fused plug with a three pin socket at the other end - they're not specific to amps and you'll probably have something suitable in the house (lead from an old PC or monitor?) - if not your local hardware shop should be able to supply one.

Not a kettle lead unfortunately... It's permanently fixed to the unit, so need a EU to UK adapter.

No biggy... Will just play "unplugged" until they ship the adapter 🙂

20 minutes ago, Ant1972 said:

Not a kettle lead unfortunately... It's permanently fixed to the unit, so need a EU to UK adapter.🙂

I'd just get a UK plug from somewhere like B&Q, Wickes etc, cut the Euro plug off and wire the UK plug on the end instead.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ant1972 said:

Not a kettle lead unfortunately... It's permanently fixed to the unit, so need a EU to UK adapter.

2 hours ago, DrBike said:

I'd just get a UK plug from somewhere like B&Q, Wickes etc, cut the Euro plug off and wire the UK plug on the end instead.

I'd sooner wire a UK plug on rather than use an adaptor too.  Please don't tell me that the essential life skill of safely wiring a mains plug has been lost to the latter generations.

I'm glad to hear that you've received the important bit though Ant, the bit with the strings.  Even if you can't hear the subtleties of the amplified sound you can at least start toughening up your fingertips with repetitive rhythmic exercises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'd sooner wire a UK plug on rather than use an adaptor too.  Please don't tell me that the essential life skill of safely wiring a mains plug has been lost to the latter generations.

I'm glad to hear that you've received the important bit though Ant, the bit with the strings.  Even if you can't hear the subtleties of the amplified sound you can at least start toughening up your fingertips with repetitive rhythmic exercises.

I'm an old fecker, so plenty old enough to remember the days when you had to buy (and wire) a plug every time you bought an electrical item 😁 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ant1972 said:

47 😁

Got sore fingers!

Ahh close 😬

Yep! If I may give a little advice...

Dont press hard with your left hand and try to pluck lightly (or if you're using a pick, don't grip too hard and use your wrist). I know its harder not being amped up as you're trying to hear yourself, but at this stage the most important thing is getting the bass in the right place on your body and your hands in the right place on bass. 

Oh, and don't overdo it at first. 

If your near East London I'd be happy to show you around the basics 👍🏻

• Like 1

On 14/05/2019 at 11:10, Ant1972 said:

Btw, what are everyone's thoughts on short scale bass Vs regular for a beginner?

Having rediscovered short scale basses, they are far too good to waste on beginners.

9 hours ago, Ant1972 said:

Unfortunately the shipment was missing the tuner (so I can't tune the guitar)

Google 'tune bass harmonics'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, initial impressions...

My first instrument, so don't have anything to compare to, but the trbx174 feels nice and solid (without being overly heavy) and well made.

The knobs all feel solid and I feel confident I've got a good 'un.

Had to tune it as it wasn't close to being in tune... That's fine, I expected that.

Lots of fret buzz, but I have mostly eliminated that by adjusting height of the action using allen key included (might get someone more professional to do a proper set up at some point though).

Looking forward to getting it hooked up to an amp soon and getting more of a feel for the tone (and checking I don't have crackly pots etc).

Had nice time noodling with it yesterday... No time today, as missus has had me working in the garden and now I'm gonna chill watching the FA cup and *cough* Eurovision 😂

Will start the proper learning on it soon!

IMG-20190517-WA0001.jpeg

• Like 5

On 14/05/2019 at 16:21, Grangur said:

Hey @Ant1972, we have a thread here  about BCers prepared to help folk get their basses set up;

Now we know where you are, we can see there are 2 gents who're not far from you. I'm sure they would be happy to take a look at the bass when it arrives, if you wish. To make sure it's set up to play well.

@obbm Obbm Farnham, Surrey
@neilp Neilp - Crawley

There will be other BCers about too. Good luck with the bass.

More than happy to help if needed. PM me. I'm busy, but I can usually find some time for bass bimbling

• Like 1

On 17/05/2019 at 15:30, Ant1972 said:

Probably not a good idea to cut off the moulded plug. This might invalidate any warranty.

It is illegal for a UK retailer to sell you an electrical item with a Euro plug and a travel adaptor, but I'm not sure whether Thomann constitutes a UK retailer in this respect. Any adaptor needs to be a permanent fitment to the plug that cannot be removed without a tool.

Like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Euro-Pin-Converter-Plug-Adapter/dp/B000KMGTKS/ref=asc_df_B000KMGTKS/

Edited by pete.young
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, pete.young said:

Probably not a good idea to cut off the moulded plug. This might invalidate any warranty.

It is illegal for a UK retailer to sell you an electrical item with a Euro plug and a travel adaptor, but I'm not sure whether Thomann constitutes a UK retailer in this respect. Any adaptor needs to be a permanent fitment to the plug that cannot be removed without a tool.

Like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Euro-Pin-Converter-Plug-Adapter/dp/B000KMGTKS/ref=asc_df_B000KMGTKS/

Yep, looks like that is the type they are shipping...

Thomann Adaptor Safety-Plug - UK – Thomann UK.html

• 1 month later...

Just little follow-up...

Due to hectic personal life it's taken me a while to get started with the bass 

Finding it difficult to learn (I'm not a natural at these things), but learned how to play riffs to "seven nation army" and "feel good inc"  which is very satisfying 😁

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, sammybee said:

I don't know if it's my eyes but the action on the bass looks very high. Get it set up properly, you'll find it much more comfortable

Yep... Have played about a bit with the action... If I get it too low, I get fret buzz... So set it back a bit higher. Gonna get a local chap to do a proper set up on it sometime soon... It's ok enough for now though... plus I think the angle of the vid makes the strings look higher than they are 😀

• 3 weeks later...