Why become a member? ×

Bass for beginner

Ant1972

Thank you all for your advice. 

If I can't get the second hand Music Man Stingray Sub 4 I was looking at, then I think I'm going for a new Yamaha TRBX174... Feels like a relatively safe/solid choice for a budget end bass (even though I'm not so keen on it's aesthetics).

Prob going to go through Thomann.de as their prices for the guitar and for the various accessories I need are good... Plus I hear they have good customer service.

Feel like I've dodged a bullet, as a nearly went for an Affinity bass a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Remember that this will be your first bass - stick around here long enough and you'll have many more!!

Seriously though, most of the best entry model basses have been listed above, also if you manage to come across a Westone Thunder 1a in budget, grab it!!. Do a bit of homework and contact your nearest BCer and see if they'll accompany you. Make a list and pop down to your local guitar stockist and try anything that you have on your list. Don't be cajoled into buying something that the salesman says is good but you haven't heard of.

For example, a few years ago Sue Ryder (yes, of Charity shop fame) were selling basses - initially well regarded but it soon became apparent that the frets were soft and wore over time...

I blame @AndyTravis for starting me on Yamahas but there are a few very nice examples currently available on ebay for around £150 - contact Andy for more advice if you decide to go this route.

If you're ever near Hatfield, get in contact, you're welcome to try the low end stuff I have.

+1 to the Westone Thunder, got me started a few years back...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ant1972 said:

Thank you all for your advice. 

If I can't get the second hand Music Man Stingray Sub 4 I was looking at, then I think I'm going for a new Yamaha TRBX174... Feels like a relatively safe/solid choice for a budget end bass (even though I'm not so keen on it's aesthetics).

Prob going to go through Thomann.de as their prices for the guitar and for the various accessories I need are good... Plus I hear they have good customer service.

Feel like I've dodged a bullet, as a nearly went for an Affinity bass a couple of weeks ago.

Affinity basses aren't as bad a you seem to think they are. There's nothing wrong with them. The pots and tuners could be better, but there's nothing really bad about them. I've had a couple and they were pretty solid.

Yes, the customer service at Thomann is really good. If you do take to bass, the first one could well get sold on at some stage, so I'd buy a used bass. That way you can sell it on for the same money you bought it for.

Even some used basses for about £100 will be good, very playable instruments; leaving you more £ to put towards an amp; an important part of the setup, for you to get a sound you like. Don't skimp on the amp. It may not seem as inspiring as the instrument, but it makes a big difference to the sound you'll get out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Affinity basses aren't as bad a you seem to think they are. There's nothing wrong with them. The pots and tuners could be better, but there's nothing really bad about them. I've had a couple and they were pretty solid.

I'm sure they are not terrible, but from hours of trawling around it seems like they are a bit hit-and-miss with QC issues and nobody really recommends them over Yamaha (or even some of the better Ibanez) guitars in a similar price bracket.

I could end up with good 'un and be a very happy boy... but, I'm a bit cautious about ending up with a lemon (especially as I'm a complete noob and don't want to have to fiddle around trying to fix the darn thing).

I think that is driving me towards the Yamaha, which seems to be a bit safer bet.

Seems like some of the higher up Squiers (VMs etc) have better feedback that the Affinity series, but then of course you are looking at a price bump.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ant1972 said:

then I think I'm going for a new Yamaha TRBX174...

Consider buying second hand - you can pick one up for under £100 which is probably what you'll get when you sell in a couple of years. Also consider the BB range - a used example is well within your budget.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ant1972 said:

Seems like some of the higher up Squiers (VMs etc) have better feedback that the Affinity series, but then of course you are looking at a price bump.

The VM (Vintage Modified) series, which were made in Indonesia, can go for a really good price second-hand
There have been a few on here, and for very very reasonable prices. I had one, and it was a really good bass for the money

I think there's an Ibanez SR500 on here for near enough your budget. And they are amazing quality for the money
Someone else has mentioned that a new bass may not be very well set up. I've seen some new ones that have had a frankly terrible set up -so beware that this may make your new bass harder to play.
Perhaps you could ask a BC member who is local to you, what they think once it has arrived? (or once you've bought one 2nd hand). I for one, wouldn't mind helping a beginner, if a fellow BC member needed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ant1972 said:

, then I think I'm going for a new Yamaha TRBX174... Feels like a relatively safe/solid choice for a budget end bass (even though I'm not so keen on it's aesthetics).

I'd advise against a bass that doesn't inspire you to pick it up and play.

• Like 4

I think jrixn has a point there - if you don't like the look of it before you've even bought it.... you're already uninspired by a bass, before you've even started playing
I don't know this seller personally, but there's a Squier VM on here for near enough your budget

They often come up for this sort of money second-hand... sometimes, less money, depending on model, colour, condition etc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ant1972 said:

Well... If i had an inspiration/hero it would be Peter Hook (Joy Division/New Order)... But I'm not under any illusions I'll get to play like that :)

Think he has a history of playing Yamaha's (amongst others).

Hooky is a huge influence of mine and an inspiration in many of the basslines I write, he has a big history playing Yamaha basses, from memory his chosen weapon was a Yamaha BB1200 bass, I know he appears using a Rickenbacker (or copy of) in the Love Will Tear Us Apart video, just to save you a world of pain, in my honest opinion that style of bass looks far better than they play (yes I know some will disagree) if you are tempted you have to try one sitting down AND standing up with it on a strap!

Enjoy playing up the dusty end, it brings very different dynamics to a band especially if you have a keyboard player to hand who is happy to fill in the low end duties whilst you play the lead bass parts!

As Hooky is a big influence to you, can I also suggest a listen to Stuart Morrow on the first New Model Army album (Vengeance) it is full of hooky type riffs and runs which he played on a Westone Thunder Jet (very similar to a Thunder 1A mentioned in other comments above)

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

Hooky is a huge influence of mine and an inspiration in many of the basslines I write, he has a big history playing Yamaha basses, from memory his chosen weapon was a Yamaha BB1200 bass, I know he appears using a Rickenbacker (or copy of) in the Love Will Tear Us Apart video, just to save you a world of pain, in my honest opinion that style of bass looks far better than they play (yes I know some will disagree) if you are tempted you have to try one sitting down AND standing up with it on a strap!

Enjoy playing up the dusty end, it brings very different dynamics to a band especially if you have a keyboard player to hand who is happy to fill in the low end duties whilst you play the lead bass parts!

As Hooky is a big influence to you, can I also suggest a listen to Stuart Morrow on the first New Model Army album (Vengeance) it is full of hooky type riffs and runs which he played on a Westone Thunder Jet (very similar to a Thunder 1A mentioned in other comments above)

He was a big influence on me too. Saw him playing with "The Light" quite recently - really enjoyed it. Think he had a Yamaha bass then?
His old Rick copy was a Hondo, I think. It apparently went missing some years back

The first brand new bass I ever bought was a Westone Thunder Jet - I saw Stuart Morrow with his Thunder Jet on TOTP, playing "Great expectations"
.... and bought my Westone on the strength of how good it sounded, and how cool he looked playing it :)
My old Thunder Jet has been owned by a pal of mine for many years since I sold it to him - and he still loves it
I saw him playing it last year, and it still sounds great (though it's a bit battered now)

I meant to add to someone else's thoughts on here, about buying an old 2nd hand Westone - there was one recently that was very cheap,
and another which was free - just donate something to a charity! From a very decent BC member. A second-hand Westone is another great option
But of course, they're getting on a bit and may need a little attention. Given the money I've seen them go for, and the build quality - you could grab a real bargain :)

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 2

If you are near to Andertons, go in and play any bass you can afford (imo you can`t go wrong with a budget Yamaha or Ibanez) and ask them to check the set up if you decide to buy.

If you buy it online, most of the big stores don`t open up budget basses and check the set up no matter what they say so always better to go in person if possible. Save yourself £80 on a set up!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

If you are near to Andertons, go in and play EVERY bass you can afford (imo you can`t go wrong with a budget Yamaha or Ibanez) and ask them to check the set up if you decide to buy.

If you buy it online, most of the big stores don`t open up budget basses and check the set up no matter what they say so always better to go in person if possible. Save yourself £80 on a set up!

fixed

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ant1972 said:

I'm sure they are not terrible, but from hours of trawling around it seems like they are a bit hit-and-miss with QC issues and nobody really recommends them over Yamaha

To be honest QC issues affect most brands.  I certainly would not recomment buying Affinity on line, but if you try one in a shop and it has no issues you might just pick up a bargain.

Just a shout out for Squier VM - I play one rather than the US Fender I also own as it sounds better.  The VM was bought as a backup but its just so good. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StevieE said:

Genuine question, if the OP is a new player and can't actually play yet, what advise would you give to him when testing out different basses? 

It seems a little like asking a new driver to test drive cars before he's had a first lesson if you get me. 

a good point, so borrow one or buy a cheap 2nd hand Squire learn to play a bit, or have a couple of lessons, then go and test out some basses

• Like 2

Thanks StevieE and PaulWarning... yes, I am a total noob to bass.... i think I know which way up to hold it 😄 but that's about it.

I used to make a few little bits of electronic music with a synth/sequencer/drum machine, but this will be my first time with a "proper" instrument (I'm not counting trying to play Three Blind Mice on the recorder when I was six!)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StevieE said:

Genuine question, if the OP is a new player and can't actually play yet, what advise would you give to him when testing out different basses? 

It seems a little like asking a new driver to test drive cars before he's had a first lesson if you get me. 

Good point.  I guess even a someone who has never driven will sit in a car and understand if the seats a comfortable, they can reach the pedals and like sitting in the cabin.

• Like 3