Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a bass!

kyuuga

Hey folks. I’m looking to purchase a bass and I’d like to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

Here’s what I’m looking for:

Tone-wise:

• A strong, defined low-end. Definitely not too muddy but not completely lacking in the lows. A good low mid presence with no overbearing “mud”

• A powerful midrange. I love having a full tone and I generally dislike scooped basses. The midrange should be solid but in the right frequencies, not really looking for that high-mid sizzle.

• Clear top end. Not too harsh & bright but clear enough to be heard in a mix.

Playability:

• I prefer thicker necks. Something like a Precision & Stingray neck with a wider witdth at the nut.

• A good balanced body with no neck dive.

• 4-string and no more than 21 frets...

Here’s what I DISLIKE:

• Harsh top end with super present high-mids/treble. I like having my action low and I don’t mind a bit of fret buzz but all that “clicking” sound doesn’t appeal to me;

I don’t mind if it’s active or passive or whatever the brand is.

Would love to hear some fellow bass player recommendations. Let me know what you think would fit me. Cheers. :)

Edited by kyuuga

That sounds an awful lot like a Stingray. You might equate them with having too much sizzle, but they don't have to be that way.

Or in my case, a Sandberg Basic, which has a similar pickup configuration. It has a set of TI flats on and is often run in passive mode. Warmth, tight lows, pokey low mids, subdued highs but still very present.

• Like 2

Just a suggestion , but have you looked at the Yamaha bb , range , it seems to fit with what you’re describing,  I’m not 100% sure if the neck widths vary, the Yamaha thread is great reading, and lots of good information 🙂

• Like 1

What have you tried so far?

What’s your budget?

Any examples of songs where you like the bass sound?

We’re going to need more info as many of the things you describe are subjective and you’re only going to get people recommending what they use!

• Like 2

A Japanese-built Fender Jaguar Bass may be of interest

Capable of covering all of the above (for the most part) and option of running active or passive and clear, warm tone which can be endlessly EQ'd on the bass itself.

Granted it has more of a Jazz neck profile but still not paper thin.

• 2 weeks later...

Plus one for a Sandberg.  California vm. Has a p pick up reversed for less mud and a Stingraystyle humbucker if you want a bit more bite.  Think you can even turn off half the $ to make it into a jazz bass.  Also beautifully built and a good price.  The perfect sound will be in there somewhere.

Bit ...erm ... Is " anodine" the right word?  Lack of personality .. bit BMW, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

• Like 1

That sounds like a P-bass or a Stingray then .  Obviously you have to play before you buy as personal taste is key.

or just go for the Sandberg VM  and get a very good Ray-P hybrid.  

I love Sandbergs. 

19 hours ago, garyt said:

I love Sandbergs.  

.. and so you should, and so should I .. in theory.

On 12/05/2019 at 09:54, Burns-bass said:

Choose a set of flats whatever bass you choose.

.. and don't spoil it with flats.  Dull thuddy things. 

This is purely my personal opinion as a lover of coffee table style boutique basses endowed with zing and twang ... .. and which I know is very unfashionable and quite unacceptable in modern popular music  ... and perhaps why I don't actually own a Sandberg or a Precision (though keep trying them, as I feel I should).   I have compromised on one bass with EB Cobalt flats which feel as nice as the best round wounds and actually sound very good .. even to me ;¬)

I'm kidding ... the sound you want probably does demand flats.  Thomastic Jazz Flats?  I'm told they're pretty good too - though at the price, they should be.

Edited by NickA
format