Why become a member? ×

Zilla Cabs

RnRDave

Good quality and nicely made, but much more conventional in design than BF. Essentially, a well built and finished (and quite heavy) conventional box, without the extensive bracing/sophisticated porting BF uses. I had a 2x12 built by them, to which I added my own drivers (I don't know whether it's still the case, but Zilla used to build cabs for you to fit your own drivers). You really need to try/compare them (which is obviously more difficult with custom-built cabs, which tend not to be sold through retailers, so you can't walk into any shop and do that). Hope this is of some help.

• Like 1

I needed a nice amp sleeve made up for an Ashdown ABM and went with Mike Walsh of Zoot Basses fame and he knocked it out of the park, he even managed to ape the sleeve design on the newer IV series and it's perfect. I'm delighted Zilla didn't get back to me.

He used to make great cabs under the guise of Purple Chilli back in the day, light weight, but more burly than the Barefaced stuff.

I think Zilla and Barefaced are very much apples and oranges here, but if Mike was still happy to make cabs, he'd maybe be somewhere in the middle.

Eude

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eude said:

I needed a nice amp sleeve made up for an Ashdown ABM and went with Mike Walsh of Zoot Basses fame and he knocked it out of the park, he even managed to ape the sleeve design on the newer IV series and it's perfect. I'm delighted Zilla didn't get back to me.

He used to make great cabs under the guise of Purple Chilli back in the day, light weight, but more burly than the Barefaced stuff.

I think Zilla and Barefaced are very much apples and oranges here, but if Mike was still happy to make cabs, he'd maybe be somewhere in the middle.

Eude

And before Purple Chilli, he made Zoot Bass Cabs of which I have 2. The first 1x12's he built back in 2007. He has a secret supply of "helium filled" ply, (or that's how it feels), and the cabs come out really light. He did me an Amp sleeve as well.

I think he does still make the odd cabs but not sure he still has his CNC machine. Haven't spoken to him for a bit. He was making flat packed Greenboy kits at one time.

I had a Zilla cab made for me around ten years ago when they were based in London. 

He made an old school design to match a Vox valve head. It was heavy but very well built. 

Quality and service was excellent. 

Edited by spyder

Used to own a couple of Zilla 2x12’s, and a custom made amp shell.  Yes, old school build but a damn fine bass cab.

I had no issues on the communications front, friendly and forthcoming.

I've had a Zilla 2x12 for about 4 or 5 years now. Fantastic custom tolex and other options and extremely reasonable cost. Not BF lightweight, but doesn't claim to be. 

Had mine custom cut so it would fit a valve amp on without any overhang. 

My 2x12 isn't that heavy if you're looking for lightweight. It's an easy carry. 

I've got a verticle neo 2x12 from Zilla. It sounds amazing and handles a 5 string really well. I've played function band and rockier stuff through it. 600W @ 4ohms and it being verticle means that I have a really small stage footprint. Not sure I'll need another cab for the level of gigging I do. Two handles on the sides make it really easy to carry. The best thing might be the custom colours though. I got mine in purple tolex (matches the light on my PF-500) , fender style grill, grey piping and black hardware. It was ready in about 2 weeks after ordering. Its such a pretty cab that my fiancee doesn't mind it being on display in the house! 

I also live in Bristol and they were fine with me driving out to them in Somerset to try out one with my head and bass. Very nice in person, but it's a team of about 4 people and they get so many enquiries though email that they can take a little time to respond. 

• Like 1