Why become a member? ×

Volume Pedal Advice Please

thebrig

I picked up a bespeco one off eBay for a surprisingly low price. I used to use one to great effect in an old band and as the new band is writing, I thought I’d get another.

Depends though, there are obviously much more expensive volume pedals available.

i used to use a boss fv-500 which was huge, but sturdy and reliable.

10 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I picked up a bespeco one off eBay for a surprisingly low price. I used to use one to great effect in an old band and as the new band is writing, I thought I’d get another.

Depends though, there are obviously much more expensive volume pedals available.

i used to use a boss fv-500 which was huge, but sturdy and reliable.

I'm happy to pay up to £100 for a decent one

2 minutes ago, thebrig said:

I'm happy to pay up to £100 for a decent one

Absolutely, the bespeco is a cheap and cheerful version, especially used. If I end up employing it regularly - i’ll get something more solid.

I always liked the Ernie ball ones but the idea of it being operated with string pulleys made me feel a bit sick.

The Dunlop ones seem good (dvp3) but again, it’s huge.

2 minutes ago, thebrig said:

What is the difference between a "volume' and "expression" pedal, when I'm searching around online for volume pedals, expression pedals often comes up?

Expression pedals usually control a parameter on an effect pedal like delay time or chorus depth. Some companies make dual function ones.

21 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Expression pedals usually control a parameter on an effect pedal like delay time or chorus depth. Some companies make dual function ones.

Thanks for the info Andy

• Like 1

Active or passive bass, and where in the FX chain do you want to put it? That will affect the answer.

For instance, Ernie Ball make two passive volume pedals; one with a 25K pot suited for use with an active bass, or for placing after another pedal that's either always on or has a buffered bypass, and a different model with a 250K pot more suited to plugging into with a passive instrument.

But if you are plugging straight in with a passive bass, a passive volume pedal will still slightly affect your tone, so you might want to look for active volume pedal instead.

On 11/05/2019 at 10:13, thebrig said:

I'm after a volume pedal that is simple to use and doesn't affect the tone, and it would be useful if it it allows you to set a minimum level.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

I have a Morley Little Alligator which fits the bill. Has a minimum level knob and is industrial grade sturdy. Doesn't have any noticeable effect on the tone.

Thanks for all the advice, but I've gone for a Boss FV500H, I know some people have said that it is quite large, but apart from my Boss tuner which is plugged into the dedicated tuner socket on my amp, the volume pedal will be the only pedal I will use so its size shouldn't be a problem.

13 hours ago, A.G.E.N.T.E. said:

I might be wrong but to use the expression funtion you need stereo cables.

To use a volume pedal as a expression pedal, you need an insert cable (otherwise known as Y cable with TS (vol pedal input), TS (vol pedal output), and TRS which then goes into your expression in on whatever pedal/device you want).

Best clean transparent volume boost pedal is probably Creation Audio MK 4.23.

Alternatively you can get a transparent compressor like the MXR M87 (Or any others you fancy)to do the job by increasing the output level, and set compression to as little or as much as you want.

Seems like you have it sorted already.

• Confused 1