Why become a member? ×

'51(ish) P bass build

Jimothey

Bit of an update on this build.........

I’ve decided to use the neck off my Orange Jazz bass build as I don’t really play it all that much now as I favour my White P or my Quincy (till the missus lets me have the Warwick’s!!!) and being Maple fretboard with blocks I think it will tie in with this build very well?? Should have pics to follow very soon!

I’ve been seriously GASing over a Jag bass recently so this seems like a perfect opportunity to convert the Jazz body into a Jag body instead and use the black neck on this future build.........😃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Christine said:

I completely missed this build, what a fantastic looking piece of pine, where did you get it?

I love Jazz necks, good choice in my book and maple with black will look great with that pine

I had an old 4” post kicking about the workshop so I ripped it down and was surprised how nice it looked!...........😃

• Like 1

On 11/06/2019 at 23:48, Jimothey said:

This build has stalled a bit due to a stupidly heavy workload at the mo but hopefully I'll be able to push it on a bit next week?? 

I still can't decide whether to do this as a 4 or a 5 string tho??........... 🤔

Four string. Fivers are the work of Satan and say “Fiver” too many times and you’ll find yourself in a Candyman scenario

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Four string. Fivers are the work of Satan 

4 hours ago, Christine said:

This is the undisputed truth of the universe :laugh1:

If 5ers are the work of Satan what does that make my 6er then?...............😮

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking a lot about pickup config today and I’ve been watching a few vids on YT comparing tones etc and I’m now thinking that I might go for classic ‘51 style at the neck and MM at the bridge because im going to do stacked pots with individual V/T for each pickup so each pickup would sound great on their own and blending the two would sound great aswell? Incidentally I’m probably going to string this bass with tapewounds.............🤔

Edited by Jimothey

I get you.

i am doing a 2 pick up build at the moment. And only have space for 2 knobs so am going stacked vol vol with a Duo 6 tonestyler.

Anyways, with Noll their website is good as they give dimensions for cavity depth etc.

German efficiency- seems to have a good rep

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update the pickups turned up today so I can start the routing out tomorrow when I get back to work 

Just got to order the stacked pots and knobs and a set of Rotosound 88’s so I think my yellow 72ish P bass will probably be finished first..............😀