Why become a member? ×

'51(ish) P bass build

Jimothey

This build is going to be a Pine slab bodied '51 style P bass

I'm going to stain the body black with either a White or Mirrored pickguard and Chrome Hardware I'm going to go for a Maple fretboard with perhaps a matching headstock 

I'm thinking 2 soapbar pickups on stacked pots with independent Tone and Volume controls for each pickup................ 😀 

_20190511_091804.thumb.JPG.a62022c435a3ebb866a9a189347821bc.JPG

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 5

I thought I'd do a bit of a test stain on the back still probably needs 1 more coat then Danish oil.......... 

_20190513_130412.thumb.JPG.bf16a1dd7a62edcdf0feed96d14f0ebe.JPG

And I made my pickguard out of 3mm ply and stained it to see how it will look as I'm toying with the idea of black pickguard with white binding on the body but I might do the pickguard white I haven't decided yet?........ 😀 

_20190513_130517.thumb.JPG.d886d8ff1920c4825167ac2e04fe293f.JPG

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

What about black binding on a natural top with the black pickguard, natural sides and the blackened back?

I could do natural top with blackened back and sides?? It might look a bit random with just the back black?? 

Or I could do it natural all over with black binding top and bottom with black pickguard?? 🤔 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I could do natural top with blackened back and sides?? It might look a bit random with just the back black?? 

Or I could do it natural all over with black binding top and bottom with black pickguard?? 🤔 

Of the two I'd choose the latter.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Of the two I'd choose the latter.

I think your on to a winner there mate! That should look nice?, I'll just finish it with Danish Oil, I should be able to sand the stain off the back quite easily............. 😀 

I sanded the black stain off the back today and then sanded to top nice and flat, I'm trying to source a 1.5mm binding router bit but they all seem to be £50 and above so I might have to come up with another way of routing the rebate round the top and bottom?? 🤔 

19 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Paint one on?

I was thinking of doing a fake binding I've seen it done where you do 3 coats of Danish oil all over then scrape back to bare wood the depth of the binding then do the same on top then stain it whatever colour you want and supposedly the stain only goes on the bare wood and not the Danish oil?? I spose it might be worth a test piece?? 🤔 

Well... they can't do you for it.

I suppose it speeds up production somewhat doing it that way too.  How does it stand up to scrutiny in the close-up stills from performances that you've had done for promotional material?  Time will tell.

Ignore me.  I'm still a bit Mondayish.  It's a great way to prove a concept while avoiding the tricky routing and bonding process.

Edited by SpondonBassed

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Well... they can't do you for it.

I suppose it speeds up production somewhat doing it that way too.  How does it stand up to scrutiny in the close-up stills from performances that you've had done for promotional material?  Time will tell.

Ignore me.  I'm still a bit Mondayish.  It's a great way to prove a concept while avoiding the tricky routing and bonding process.

I never take photos too close up anyway you might notice some inconsistencies or things that aren't quite right!! my basses are like water colour paintings they look better from a distance!! 😁 

Also if I decide I don't like the look of the bindings I can easily change it....... 

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

I never take photos too close up anyway you might notice some inconsistencies or things that aren't quite right!! my basses are like water colour paintings they look better from a distance!! 😁 

Also if I decide I don't like the look of the bindings I can easily change it....... 

I kinda got that.

It wouldn't really be a criticism to say so either.  Your quick turn-arounds must surely provide inspiration for that special bass build you're going to do one day.  You know, the one where you spec for hot pups and pramps.  I see plenty of others here getting inspired.

No shortage of ideas and proof of concept builds with your build pages.  Good man!

5 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

It wouldn't really be a criticism to say so either.  Your quick turn-arounds must surely provide inspiration for that special bass build you're going to do one day.  You know, the one where you spec for hot pups and pramps.  I see plenty of others here getting inspired.

Thats why my neck thru build has been going on for a long time because I want to be completely sure what I want to do on it so I don't change my mind and so I can save up some money so I can do it properly and not on the cheap like most of my other builds........... 😀 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 2

I'm thinking of making this a 4 string instead of a 5er as I've been given a neck (which is in quite good nick it needs refinishing as it's been painted black badly!!) and some soapbar pups!!

I'll probably reshape the headstock to proper tele style but the fella who gave me the parts said the headstock has been filled lots so I might make a black capping for it (matt finish to match the pickguard) because the pickguard is matt I'm rethinking the faux binding as that's gloss so I might try and paint it instead?? 

If I remember correctly @SpondonBassed have you strung a bass with rotosound 88's if so what do you think of the them?............ 😀 

Edited by Jimothey

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

have you strung a bass with rotosound 88's if so what do you think of the them?............ 😀 

I have them on my fretless Vantage.  They sound warm and thumpy.

They're a vast improvement on the roundwounds that were on  before.  Also, they're easier on the fingerboard.  It is finished in black and has worn in a few spots already.  Being black with gold tails they look smart on the all black Vantage.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

This build has stalled a bit due to a stupidly heavy workload at the mo but hopefully I'll be able to push it on a bit next week?? 

I still can't decide whether to do this as a 4 or a 5 string tho??........... 🤔