Why become a member? ×

Cat pee

xgsjx

Got home from work at about 8:30 last night, 2 cats come running up to say hello, I go over to the Mrs & one of the cats puts his butt towards my bass (which was standing up) & did a full on parney.  Filled up the bridge pickup & soaked the body, strings & strap. 

Chased the cat away & then spent the following hour & a bit stripping the bass down & giving things a good clean with dettol wipes. It even got underneath the bridge!

The strap is in the washing machine along with a guitar gig bag that he managed to include. 

Anyone else have such fun with their pets?

Edited by xgsjx
  • Haha 2

Not my cat, but when I had an open access cat flap, a neighbour's tom came in a few times and sprayed up the side of my Carlsbro Stingray guitar amp. So I caught the thing and took it to the vet to have its goolies cut off. Never came back after that.

• Like 1

We've had cats for years, the only issue I've had gearwise is one of them did love to scratch an old Ashdown MAG cabinet.

That said, we homed a Birman about 18 months ago and we've had a few issues with her marking around the kitchen door, but she's never done this against my gear (yet!).

To keep her away, we just put a sheet of cooking foil in front of my gear every night, she won't walk on it.

IMG-20190429-WA0000.jpg

An old pal of mine had a call from his wife asking how to clean baby poo off his Custom Shop Strat... his boy was standing naked in front of it and did a projectile wet one all over it, even went under the pickguard. 

Clearly more of a Gibson kid. 

• Haha 3

One of out cats has decided that it is perfectly acceptable to pee in front of the fireplace.  The trouble is once they decide it is ok they keep doing it.  The smell of the stuff inside the pee attracts them back even when it is washed off.   At first it was on the rug but after trying to wash and remove the scent she carried on so we chucked that out and bought a plastic rug that could be washed more effectively.  That didn't help so we chucked that out but she still pees on the floorboards in front of it from time to time.  I read an online tip that cats don't care for the smell of certain essential oils and it suggested that the citrus oil contained in lemon or orange peel could be extracted by boiling it for 10 mins then after it was cool spraying it around.  Since I tried that she hasn't peed there.

Might be worth putting lemon oil on your bass?  Otherwise your cat might believe it is OK to do it again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xgsjx said:

Got home from work at about 8:30 last night, 2 cats come running up to say hello, I go over to the Mrs & one of the cats puts his butt towards my bass (which was standing up) & did a full on parney.  Filled up the bridge pickup & soaked the body, strings & strap. 

Chased the cat away & then spent the following hour & a bit stripping the bass down & giving things a good clean with dettol wipes. It even got underneath the bridge!

The strap is in the washing machine along with a guitar gig bag that he managed to include. 

Anyone else have such fun with their pets?

Sorry, I shouldn't find that funny! :D

Sounds like the cat wants your bass & is marking it's territory 💦 😸 😻 😸

Maybe it's a Squeeze fan? :)

Edited by Teebs

11 hours ago, Cato said:

You realise that the cat now legally owns the bass?

I feel I should point out that this rule only applies to cats, so don't try this in your local music shop.

I learned this lesson the hard way.

• Haha 5