Why become a member? ×

Short Scale 'Thing' (was going to be 23" but ended up 27"...)

Jabba_the_gut

3 hours ago, wrinkleygit said:

Words alone cannot describe, even though all of our gigs have been postponed for the foreseeable future, I’ve almost managed to justify why I need at least two more basses !!!!

Funny that, how this whole situation appears to have drastically affected everything apart from GAS!

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Funny that, how this whole situation appears to have drastically affected everything apart from GAS!

Well, true, but I loved that little brown bass the first time I played it and I still love it :D

Its the perfect 'house bass'

• Like 1

I thought the strings on such extreme short scales were normal tension, but tuned an octave higher

I think some have used either an octave down pedal, but turning off the original signal leaving the tuning as standard E to A.   Possibly a pitch pedal as an alternative

For this headed 27" scale bass I have used strings made by Newtone strings who recommended a heavier core (nice strings by the way). The bass is tuned to standard tuning and the tension seems absolutely fine to me. I'm really enjoying playing it, it's a very comfortable size. I'll bring it along to the next bass bash for anyone to try, whenever that is.

The two 23" scale basses are also tuned to standard tuning. One has the bottom 4 strings from a 5 string set and the other just normal 4 strings. Again tension seems fine - strange that both sets of strings feel fine to play - I still haven't got my head round this yet!!

I'm in the process of making a 27" scale neck to try on one of the headless basses (along with trying a different string clamp) just to see how that feels. Again, I'll take that to the next bash as well.

I've also got the other headed neck at 25.5" scale I started making for this project and another set of Newtone strings designed for that scale. I'm also looking at a 27" 5 string as well. oh, And I've got a roughed out headed 34" scale bass with a Moses graphite neck knocking around as well!! Too many projects......

• Like 5

Big thumbs up for Neil @ Newtone Strings, basically he will make whatever you want & I don’t think he is expensive in that respect. 
  I have used his Heritage acoustic guitar strings for many years now, if like me you have wrinkley arthritic fingers they are an absolute joy to play and I can’t recommend them highly enough.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Hipshot hardware is very nice, quality stuff. You get what you pay for hence the price.

I might have another go at headless version later on but I'm loving this bass so much I've already starting making another. Not sure what the spec will be yet other than I'm planning on it having a birds eye maple neck with a scarf joint (as that is what I've done so far!!).

14 hours ago, TheGreek said:

11 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Cripes! You can buy a headless bass for what they charge for a neck headpiece.

I'm going to need a headless mutli-scale system in the near future...  yikes.

17 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

i'm going to need a headless mutli-scale system in the near future...  yikes.

@SpondonBassed

Yikes indeed! There are other options but for a multiscale headless you would ideally be looking at individual headless units something along the line of ABM units (around £40 per string) plus a headpiece (around £50) so still  not cheap. I've got a Nova 5 string headless bridge unit sat in front of me (it's actually in a pile of 'parts I've bought but haven't quite decided if I'll actually get round to using'.....) that is much more affordable (around £150 for bridge and head piece) and still very nice quality. There's quite a bit of adjustment in the way it is designed though whether this is enough for a multi scale I wouldn't know.

yt36xFP.jpg

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 1

I have to say, I'm really liking this 27" scale. It's very comfortable to play hence why I'm making another. I'm just torn between everything (active electronics and side LED fret markers) or more simple (passive jazz pickups). Still, plenty I can do before it gets near that point and I changed my mind enough on this build that went from 23" scale to 27" scale!

I changed my mind enough that these are the leftovers for another day!!

7yoqR7G.jpg?2

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 1