Why become a member? ×

Short Scale 'Thing' (was going to be 23" but ended up 27"...)

Jabba_the_gut

I've just looked back at the mock-up for a five string version - think that would probably be another project in the near future but with a slightly longer scale (27" or 29" I'm thinking as that would look more in proportion to the extra width of the bass). Anyway, that's something that can be drawn on paper s I've got enough other things to finish first!!

• Like 1

I still miss my 5 string with the low B, the problem for me in the end,  was the width of the neck stressing my arthritic old digits, but playing with a sax those extra low notes were a god send.

Whether it would be possible to make a low B work on 29” would be quite a challenge in itself, it would be interesting to know from other 5 string players which would be more useful high C or low B tuning.

As always good luck with any future project & I would love to see a fiver at some point.

• Like 1

Next little job was to sort the magnets in the control cover. I'm using some very thin magnets so all that is needed is a shallow recess in the cover for these - a job for the Dremel. I don't like Dremels for many things but this is one job it is very suited for - all it needs is a burr bit to make each recess then the magnets can be epoxied in place. Always a good idea to check which way the poles are on the magnets else they might just be pushing the cover off when they don't pair up with those in the bass body!! Check and check again.....(ever get the idea I might just have done that once before?....) 

Once the epoxy has set the back of the cover can be sanded ready for copper shielding foil to be added. That's another little job complete.

R390cDD.jpg?1

I got the thicker fret wire I wanted for the zero fret so I've fitted that and trimmed a nut to suit.

DpEBZCb.jpg

Next job was to tidy up the fret ends. First part of this is to file the ends to an angle. I made an angle block out of a bit of spruce and clamped a file in it - works just fine. Always worth masking the fretboard to prevent crud or scratches.

3ldk05v.jpg

Next up is filling the fret slot ends to match the board. I always keep small pots of the sanding dust from radiusing the fretboard for this job as it will be right colour

• Like 4

I've had a good think and at this moment in time I'm going to skip adding a logo to the headstock. I think there is enough going on with the spalted veneer and black line front and back that a logo might be a bit too much. I'll still do a mock up to see but I do like it how is and I need to look at a truss rod cover, which again would make it a little busier.

11 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Always a good idea to check which way the poles are on the magnets else they might just be pushing the cover off when they don't pair up with those in the bass body!!

Mind you, then if all four were misaligned you could have a control cover that floated above the body...

• Like 1

All work on the body is complete so time to start the wiring.

obwJzbs.jpg

As the pickup I'm using has an associated pull switch to change from MM to J type I needed to make up a new connector block as the hole for the cable would not allow for the connector. Not a problem, just a bit time consuming. I made a complete new connector cable so I still have the original should I decide to change pickups at any point. The terminals were crimped on and fitted into the housings then connected to the volume control and preamp. I do quite like the EMG connector stuff - it is quick if you don't need to make your own cables!!

2KCExD6.jpg

I fitted the control knobs and did a quick test of the wiring just by connecting to an am and tapping the pickup gently with a washer. Everything seems to work fine so I'm now itching to get the neck completed!!

• Like 4

Yay! Neck done, bolted together and strings fitted. Had a quick noodle and dead chuffed so far. Will give it a little time to settle and make little adjustments where needed.

Will post some proper photos later. I'm just considering a truss rod cover but that's about it.

FtP0rts.jpg?2

Here's one next to a normal sized bass for reference

eaBKswP.jpg

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 10