Why become a member? ×

Short Scale 'Thing' (was going to be 23" but ended up 27"...)

Jabba_the_gut

On 10/03/2020 at 22:21, Jabba_the_gut said:

Now time to start shaping the necks. I'm going to leave one or both of the board flat - will save a job with a radius block but I'm also interested in how a flat board feels. 

As always your builds look gorgeous!! I’d be really interested in getting your opinion on a flat board as I’m think of doing one on my Neck Thru build............👍

I always hated my first guitar because it had a flat fretboard.

It was only a cheap guitar (£4 in the early seventies) intended for nylon strings but it was sold with steel strings.  I was pre-teen and the whole experience was painful.  I later modified it by pulling out the frets and sanding the fretboard to get a radius... by eye.  Refitted the frets and ruined it good and proper.

It would be interesting to try a flat fretboard again now that I've settled on bass and developed a bit more dexterity.  I still think I'd prefer the radiussed boards somehow.

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

IMHO a flat fretboard always looks concave.

Yes! So glad it's not just me who thinks that.

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

It would be interesting to try a flat fretboard again now that I've settled on bass and developed a bit more dexterity.  I still think I'd prefer the radiussed boards somehow.

I tried out a number of ACGs, all of which had flat boards, but just couldn't get to grips with it, despite them being fantastic basses.

I finally managed to try one with a 20" radius - not much of a curve, but enough, and I loved it. And then bought it. 😁

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Simon. said:

I finally managed to try one with a 20" radius - not much of a curve, but enough, and I loved it. And then bought it. 😁

I find it difficult to barre.  I used to think it was because of that awful first guitar with its flat fretboard but I still can't do it well even on Jack's Jaguar bass if I'm truthful.  What do you reckon the radius is on that?  I imagine it's short relatively speaking but I have no clue.

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I find it difficult to barre.  I used to think it was because of that awful first guitar with its flat fretboard but I still can't do it well even on Jack's Jaguar bass if I'm truthful.  What do you reckon the radius is on that?  I imagine it's short relatively speaking but I have no clue.

9.5" apparently, same as a Jazz.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Next task was to make a template for a Musicman style pickup. I've got one template but it was just a little too tight fitting. First thing was to mark out a piece of mdf with the key dimensions

tZsB2Lg.jpg

Once that was done holes were drilled for the mounting lugs and a few others for cutting out it out using a coping saw.

3wvMzza.jpg

After that I used some pieces off wood pinned to the board ready to use the router to neatly trim the template with a bearing cutter.

4OXxZPn.jpg

And the finished template

UMdXf1L.jpg?1

2vXwjsY.jpg?2

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I'd almost forgotten just how attractive these little basses are...

They're like little gems aren't they?  Inspirational.

(No TLRTs to show a liking for your post, sorry.  I've spent them all down at the Den of Iniquity thread.)

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

Reverse of the headstock veneered - now to do the front which will be a little trickier as not to get glue in the truss rod.

As I posted before, I'm not doing this in the correct order as I decided to do this a little later down the build process than you would normally plan!! Glad I've done it though as I think it looks quite nice so far.

6kU3Ewe.jpg?1

g75zHeA.jpg?2

• Like 5