Why become a member? ×

Short Scale 'Thing' (was going to be 23" but ended up 27"...)

Jabba_the_gut

As mentioned in my headless thread, I'm looking at making a headed version of the mini bass, so I thought I'd start a thread for it.

I'm planning on keeping it at 23" scale and the same body shape as the headless one (with a very slight tweak to the lower horn). I wasn't sure what to do with the headstock so I just went for the same design I have used on my recent semi hollow basses. To my eye, it seems to flow which is nice as it keeps something in common. 

jDFMyBF.jpg?2

This design would allow me plenty of options with regards to bridges which is always the difficult thing when going down the headless route. 

I've also been looking at the option of a 5 string version of this. I've been looking at a 5 string version of a semi hollow bass (will put that on another thread) using the same head stock shape so I did a quick mock-up to see how that might look on a mini bass:

5iV98ZY.jpg?2

WuMaSaD.jpg?1

It just looks wrong to me, the proportions don't seem quite right. I think the body looks too small compared to the head so I've mocked it up again making the body a little wider:

c8X0jNQ.jpg?2

I think the 5 string looks better with a slightly wider body but the shape needs a little more work I think. I also think tuners that had rounded buttons would also look better and not make the headstock look too big - something else to look at.

Anyway, for the moment this I'm going to make one four string version and see how it goes.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 4

I agree that the body looks too small - prefer the larger 5 string version. However I also preferred the body when it was headless - didn't you shorten the lower horn? You could also make the hole smaller and shrink that part of the headstock without losing the overall look.

I'm going to have a play on Paint 3D.

Hi Mick. I can see where you are coming from but the headstock needs to be a certain size to be able to accommodate the tuners with the strings in a straight line and have rounded edges as I have done on other basses. I'll have a play along these lines and see what I can come up with!

Cheers 

Started plotting these now and have cut a couple of pieces of wood. Firstly, I got some reclaimed pew ends - there is a smaller section which should be just about right for a body. Needs stripping and I'll need to avoid the old nail holes in the finished bass!!

Here's the block I'm looking at using (currently 45mm thick) with a diagonal cut made:

s2bUBV8.jpg?2

I'm also looking at using a piece of reclaimed wood given to me by @Rich for the neck

5XA51jg.jpg?1

Everything fits and now needs thicknessing.

f7F3aGp.jpg?1

• Like 4

I've also got a block of spalted beech that I've had knocking around for a while. 40mm thick but not quite wide enough for a one piece mini bass so I've chopped it up to suit. The block is big enough to allow me to make two mini basses or one mini bass and a book matched top for my 5 string semi hollow project.

This is the block and it has some nice grain I'm going to try to use:

UQemDWU.jpg?1

By cutting it in this kind of arrangement I can get the full width I need for the bass without wasting too much wood and should also catch the grain I like:

YbVBvTa.jpg?1

Cut it into weird shaped pieces but it is the right size with the join down the centre line

OZJZZLY.jpg?2

I've tried to match the way the grain runs on the upper and lower halves - quite pleased so far!

rl0vI5I.jpg?1

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Will probably keep this one simple with a light matt oil finish and no fancy top.

With it being fretless you'll end up with lovely clean lines to go with that fine grain, assuming it's going to be unlined or with subtle position markers.  It ought to be a minimalist masterpiece.

Good choice.

The neck for this bass will need the truss rod at the head end which I have only done once before and that was a few years ago. As I don't want to ruin a nice piece of wood I'm trying this out on some Sapele offcuts to see how it goes. The Sapele wasn't wide enough so I have joined two pieces - looks quite nice how the grain has aligned.

uRIyLOz.jpg?1

I've routed the truss rod slot and access for the allen key to adjust. 

DyMjRju.jpg

izSceT0.jpg?1

I'm also making another headless neck at the same time to try on one of the mini basses. This will be fretless this time just to see if it works!! 

rgusXvr.jpg?1

• Like 1

On 27/05/2019 at 16:31, Stub Mandrel said:

Do you use a slot with a curved bottom?

If so, how do you vary the depth?

Hi. Both slots (the short allen key one and the truss rod channel have both been cut with a flat bottom. I have got a couple of round router cutters that I will try on the next neck - might look just a little tidier on the adjustment channel. I'll post on here how it goes (good or bad!!0

cheers

• Thanks 1

Done just a little more on this. I've trimmed the body to the template so it is ready to have the neck pocket and control cavities cut. I've found a bridge that I think will look nice on this and follow on from the headless version; this bridge will require the body routing for it to mount correctly. That should be here in a couple of days so I can size it up and make a template for it.

pidQaob.jpg?1

Llzz2VF.jpg

• Like 6

Why have a fancy top when you can have a fancy whole!

I must admit I have never felt drawn to spalted tops, but now that it is all 3D and that, then it is a whole different thing. In a good way.

Edited by owen
because he thought of more ways to gush.