Why become a member? ×

Short Scale 'Thing' (was going to be 23" but ended up 27"...)

Jabba_the_gut

• 4 months later...

It's been quite a while but I have eventually had a bit of time to carry on with this. I've also looked at the possibility of a couple for different scale lengths for this. This started as I looked at the neck length for the headed bass vs the headless one and realised as the headed version bridge sits further back the scale length could be increased by a couple of inches (to 25.5") without changing the overall look. I then thought about 27" and 29" scales as well. So I made a few templates to see what it all looked like:

oIUji7Z.jpg?1

jJ3wnKv.jpg?3

KtTHWme.jpg?2

• Like 3

I settled on trying 25.5" and 27". I'm also going to make these necks with a scarf joint as I think that would look pretty decent and I've only tried that once before! I'm also thinking of making a 27" neck for one of the headless basses with a different string clamp. This is a mock up of a 27" headless and a 29" headed bass.

fjd9pue.jpg?1

• Like 6

I'm also setting on an EMG MM TW with a BTC preamp for this headed build - hopefully will give quite a bit of tonal variation and will fit in the smallish cavity space on this bass. Strings for this will be source from Newtone - I've got a set already for the 25/5 neck and have ordered some for the 27" neck.

• Like 2

First up, I cut two neck blanks at an angle for a scarf joint.

PmbFFD5.jpg?1

I then sanded the joint flat using a jig a made for a previous build. Nothing clever here, just sanding and more sanding....

ke0DwEk.jpg

The sandpaper is just fixed to the work surface with double sided tape and the jig is just used to move the wood to sand the required face. Takes a little while but not too bad if you make an accurate cut when sawing the wood.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 1

Glued the two parts of each neck together and left to set. I used Titebond on one neck and Cascamite on the other just as an experiment to see how they would look when sanded. 

Next up was to  route the truss rod slot.

fzk0GR3.jpg

Once this was done I trimmed a little wood from the sides of the scarf joint to see how it looked. I checked the strength of the joint on the offcuts; the Titebond one was good but the Cascamite not so for some reason. I put the neck of the bench, pressed down on it hard and the joint separated cleanly. The picture below shows  where a chunk came away cleanly from the joint.

tB2RhRB.jpg?4

No idea why. I've used Cascamite enough in the past and this was a new tub. I resanded the join and made it again with Titebond - I'll investigate the Cascamite again later. 

• Like 2

Both of these necks are going to have a zero fret so I needed to work out where the end of the board would be and the nut. I trialled a fret slot position on an ebony offcut to make sure the force of inserting the fret didn't chip any of the wood.

sYMxJYT.jpg

T8BF27B.jpg

Next task was to glue the fretboards to the necks. And plenty of clamps!

AojRy4V.jpg

I always use a couple of tacks to stop the fretboard sliding when the clamps are applied especially when the fretboard I slotted first and needs to align with a specific point on the neck. One of the tacks is just visible near the heel in the section that will be cut off.

z7HWZsF.jpg

• Like 4

Cut the excess off the necks then tidies up using my neck templates and a router.

hFoHfWf.jpg?2

The scarf joints have turned out okay.

aAOOEYy.jpg?2

Now time to start shaping the necks. I'm going to leave one or both of the board flat - will save a job with a radius block but I'm also interested in how a flat board feels. 

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 4