Why become a member? ×

Iceni (Zoot) 4 string BIN £264

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Wasn’t there a zoot bass made in Japan for a bit? Is this one of them?

Yep there was. I know Mike well and I'm sure he mentioned they were made in the same factory as the last Nanyo Bass Collections. They were Zoot Chasers I think.

This isn't, (wasn't as it's now sold), one of those it's a Custom shop one from mike's fair hands.

4 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Yep there was. I know Mike well and I'm sure he mentioned they were made in the same factory as the last Nanyo Bass Collections. They were Zoot Chasers I think.

This isn't, (wasn't as it's now sold), one of those it's a Custom shop one from mike's fair hands.

Wow. I passed it by as one of the cheaper models. What an asshat I feel.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I thought the Chasers were only partly made overseas and were finished in the UK? They were £900 new IIRC and were still high end basses, cheaper but not cheap. Either way the eBay bass is far too cheap, whoever got that is extremely fortunate.

Think you are right @lemmywinks I've had a few conversations with Mike about the Chasers and now you mention it, rings a bell. It was around the time he had a retail outlet selling bass gear.

• 4 weeks later...

The bass above (Ebay sale) was indeed a hand made bass (Made in Essex).  Out of all the Iceni Zoots that were the same as this one, I only made 3 in this peacock blue.  The reason for this was I used up the left overs from the bass bodies I painted for the Mark King basses he endorsed for Fender  (Martin Simms did the necks and LED's etc and final assembly)  I remember at the time I had some heavy swamp ash in stock and that got used on these Iceni Zoot basses as well, I seem to also remember they were as punchy as hell.   The original Zoot Chaser was indeed made in Japan by Nanyo Beakoi (bass collection, Deviser basses etc)  However, we did the final setup in Essex, and fitted with  a John East 2 band E.Q.  and our own custom made "Iceni CSD" pickups (or you could have Bartolini / Seymour Duncan's as a cost option upgrade)  Here's a picture of the Mark King bodies being painted at my old factory.  Note the colour.  Also a picture of one of the other 3 that had a pickup option upgrade and is still being gigged every week by Bassist Steve Clark.  The King bodies are in fact the same colour as the Zoots, it's just that the King basses are waiting for the second and third colour coats to be applied, that's why they look a bit lighter in the pictures.

MKing bodies.jpg

3sc.jpg

Edited by Cosmicrain
  • Like 3