Why become a member? ×

Faith no More. Mike Patton.

bubinga5

First saw FNM at the Marquee on the original Real Thing tour - the same week it came out.  Got home from work, played side 1 before needing to leave for the gig.  Blown away. I still have the 1989 tour shirt, with just the three UK club dates on the back.  Seen them many, many times since, as well as Mr Bungle, and either Fantomas or Tomahawk (or possibly both).  Love Mike Patton, although his bands can make quite challenging music.

But for all that, my favourite FNM are the Chuck Moseley albums, especially Introduce Yourself (although the remastered first album is spectacularly good).  Actually missed that line up playing at the Marquee (back in the days before they sold tickets, so you had to check the weekly listings and then turn up and queue on the day to get in - they'd played the previous weekend)  Finally saw Chuck play at the Boston Arms a couple of years back, maybe a year or so before he died.  If anybody likes his version of FNM I can thoroughly recommend his Will Rap Over Hard Rock For Food album (as Chuck Moseley and VUA)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

15578554706547582375212202698648.thumb.jpg.932704122a7ddc2cb10e5e470512c3ca.jpg

😁

Me got that too!

Got 'introduce yourself' on the strength of 'we care a lot' getting heavy airplay. Still have that tape somewhere, must be worn thin by now!

Saw FNM at reading festival along with living colour, pixies, cramps, etc...happy times back then. Weirdly I liked RHCP more but didn't get to see them until '03.

I feel a FNM car playlist coming on 🤘

• Like 1

For the Chuck Mosley fans I’d also recommend The Man With The Action Hair by Cement and Soul Pretender by Primitive Race. I didn’t know about the last one until I read his obituary, and it makes his death all the more sad as he was really at the peak of his powers, the band harnessing his vocal drone.

i also picked up Joe Haze Session #2 that was put out as a very limited single for Record Store Day this year - a couple of acoustic covers, very like the stuff he played live when I saw him

9 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

Back to the OP, The Real Thing does now sound oddly dated, largely because of Mike Patton’s voice

I can understand that.  MP has even criticised his own performance on that album, and described it as too nasally.

The production really doesn't help either in making it sound dated. 

It doesn't stop me loving it though. 

The production is perfect, it's authentic. It has balls. That brief squeal of feedback every time Jim turns up the guitar... ah man, it has got such wonderful grit. You can hear depth around the drums. Bill's tone is sublime. It's a great production.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

The production is perfect, it's authentic. It has balls. That brief squeal of feedback every time Jim turns up the guitar... ah man, it has got such wonderful grit. You can hear depth around the drums. Bill's tone is sublime. It's a great production.

Yes mate! That's exactly what I love about another of my all time favourite albums; The Arctic Monkeys. Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not.

The feedback from the guitars, hearing the click of the recorder, background noise, the occasional wrong note, all that combined with the "real life" down to earth subjects of the songs gives the album an unbelievable grit and authenticity. Makes me feel like I'm at the birth of something very special.

Perfectly imperfect production. Love it! 😁

• Like 1

A production which breathes, not under the weight of click-tracked clicky close-mic’d drums, where you can hear the sound of the room it was recorded in, where the guitarist sounds like he’s trying to control a feral beast, it’s a beautiful thing 🙂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

I like the production, and loved the album at the time (and still do) but the high pitched, rap metal nasal vocals date it badly.  He really hit his stride on Angel Dust.  I missed Jim Martin after that

Big Sick Ugly Jim Martin...

https://loudwire.com/ex-faith-no-more-guitarist-jim-martin-breaks-decade-long-silence-to-answer-fan-questions/

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lou24d53 said:

Brilliant, thanks for sharing that. I never paid any attention to the press back then so this is all new info to me! 

This brought back some memories "What was the deal with you being the only clothed FNM member in the infamous "FNM underwear poster"?

I had a t-shirt with that picture on the front which had "you fat b@stards" on the back. Man, I thought I was the guy walking around my little village with a swear on my shirt 😂😂😂

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, StevieE said:

Brilliant, thanks for sharing that. I never paid any attention to the press back then so this is all new info to me! 

This brought back some memories "What was the deal with you being the only clothed FNM member in the infamous "FNM underwear poster"?

I had a t-shirt with that picture on the front which had "you fat b@stards" on the back. Man, I thought I was the guy walking around my little village with a swear on my shirt 😂😂😂

I had that t-shirt too, got it when they played with Prong on The Real Thing Tour. I sold it on ebay a few years ago. It's quite desirable, it would seem.

• Like 1

my favourite FNM shirt was, possibly, a bootleg one.

Black longsleeve "Faith No More" down one sleeve, "WE CARE A LOT" down the other and the image from the We Care A Lot inner sleeve on the front. 

R-9670482-1484508987-3696.jpeg.jpg

Flippin' loved that shirt. had it about a decade before losing it. Never seen another...

EDIT: found a photo, so the FNM was on the front too, not down the sleeve.

heres me in around 1991, playing along to Metallica’s Black album😁

E87F4D7A-526A-4D63-95B0-35FB905C9B24.thumb.jpeg.caf3eb2d0d06ff121b37eb4345ab9464.jpeg

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 1

I'm clearly in a minority, but I find the production to be pretty much the opposite of what's described above.  To me, it's very dated and of its time in the way a lot of the late 80's rock and metal albums are.  I find the drums and guitars to be thin and the bass is too buried in the mix. 

That said, I absolutely love the album.