Why become a member? ×

Faith no More. Mike Patton.

bubinga5

17 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

The older I get, the more I prefer Mosely era and the loose, almost shambolic nature of the songs. That being said, The Real Thing is flawless, it’s still an incredible record.

Funny you say that, As The Worm Turns is right up there as one of my favourite FNM songs, but I do prefer Pattons vocals though, probably from the live at Brixton academy video. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

At last a song post I can get on board with. Proper music! I haven't listened to nearly enough Faith No More. Something I really must rectify. They've been on my radar for years and I like what I've heard but never really actively followed them. Definitely on my to do list after that one. 

Thanks @bubinga5

Do it! Expect to be challenged at times mind 🙂

• Thanks 1

Yes! I'm a huge FNM fan. First time I saw them with Napalm Death in... '91 I think?

I love them both with Chuck and with Mike. Completely different style vocals that work with the music.

Mr. Bungle blew my mind, the first album is a solid favourite, but I can't get in to the later ones as much. Fantomas is a bit too chaotic for me.

I have yet to check out his latest effort: Mondo Cane.

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Love FNM - coincidentally the song on repeat for me at the moment is Surprise! Your Dead!

I would love to nail playing that

I still have the transcription book of The Real Thing, that I bought in ‘91, if you want a scan of that...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StevieE said:

Funny you say that, As The Worm Turns is right up there as one of my favourite FNM songs, but I do prefer Pattons vocals though, probably from the live at Brixton academy video. 

At the moment , this one is getting me every time

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

At the moment , this one is getting me every time

Another classic, somehow I remember all the words even though Ive not heard it for over 20 years! 

Such a shame that Chuck passed a couple of years ago, but there's a certain quality to his voice and lyrics that seems to suggest a life that will be cut short 

37 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I haven't listened to enough Faith No More. They seem a very good band, but I played with a guy who was a fan; he was very religious but tended to keep it to himself unless I took the lord's name in vain in front of him or somesuch. However, when it came to FNM or Mr Bungle he was a full-on evangelist. He just kept on, and on, and on about them, as if they were the one true path, and that the world's musical souls were at stake.

He was so fervent over so many tours that he put me off listening to either band, and I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to experience them in a pure and unbiased way. The bits I've heard have been good, but that persistent coercion may have permanently sullied them for me!

Was he a member of the Faith No More Spiritual and Theological Centre?

56 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I haven't listened to enough Faith No More. They seem a very good band, but I played with a guy who was a fan; he was very religious but tended to keep it to himself unless I took the lord's name in vain in front of him or somesuch. However, when it came to FNM or Mr Bungle he was a full-on evangelist. He just kept on, and on, and on about them, as if they were the one true path, and that the world's musical souls were at stake.

He was so fervent over so many tours that he put me off listening to either band, and I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to experience them in a pure and unbiased way. The bits I've heard have been good, but that persistent coercion may have permanently sullied them for me!

I can't be the only one seeing the strangeness of being fervently religious yet liking FNM and Mr Bungle? 

18 hours ago, StevieE said:

Billy was such an influence on me that my first "decent" Bass was a black Aria Pro II. Here's my 16 year old self throwing a pose with my Integra 😂

Screenshot_20190510_173947.jpg

Ah, I used to have one of those. my first ever proper bass.

Viz FNM I'm not that keen on The Real Thing, a bit too normal compared to the schizoid fun they served up on the following albums which are all crackers especially the hugely underrated Album of The Year.  Always liked the band as they're pretty dysfunctional and with an FU attitude. As I've said before on fora, IMO there is no better singer in rock and pop than Mike Patton.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

I really would not let religious indoctrination put me off any music. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ped said:

Big Patton fan here. Here's my fave piece of work so far:

He's been involved in so many fantastic projects, hasn't be?  I love his Peeping Tom album, and the first few Tomahawk releases are pretty amazing too!  I'm struggling with Dead Cross though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rowbee said:

He's been involved in so many fantastic projects, hasn't be?  I love his Peeping Tom album, and the first few Tomahawk releases are pretty amazing too!  I'm struggling with Dead Cross though.

I hear you, I struggled with listening to Fantomas, but then when I saw them live it all made sense and I spent the whole gig grinning from ear to ear. Watching him live with Rahzel was also hilarious.

Massive respect to Patton and FNM.

• Like 1