Why become a member? ×

NBD... Thunder 1-A, baby

Rich

Picked this beauty up from @Moos3h last night... thank you so, so much, and I hope you had a safe journey to the Riviera :) 
This really is a 37 year itch finally scratched... t
hese were all the rage when I started out playing, I'd always fancied getting my hands on one and now after all these years I have. Yes it has some issues, as James pointed out in his ad: 

• the electrics are not working and one of the switches is knackered... should all be straightforward (oh blimey, that's the kiss of death isn't it :lol: ) and if it still doesn't work I've got a Yamaha 2-band eq I can put in there instead;
  • there's a hairline crack in the neck... I'll flood some thinned glue into it if it needs anything, but it doesn't seem to affect stability or playability;
  • it's got a few major league dings in the body as the pic shows... I'm not sure what to do with these really, a refinish would cost a fortune and I don't want to spend a shedload of cash on it. I might just seal the edges of the dings with glue to stop any more flaking off, and call it mojo :lol::lol: 

The serial number places it in December 1982. The neck feels great and it plays well, action is fine and all the hardware works. The missing knob is present, I'd taken it off when I took the pic. I've not yet plugged it in so I don't know how it sounds, but from what I've seen on yootoob the 1A core tone appears to be P-bass-on-steroids. I have a feeling that my bitsa P is going to struggle to keep its place in my working group.

Happy day. :D 

Thunder 1A 2.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 15

It really doesn't strike me as all that heavy at all. Having said that, I have a few heavy basses anyway -- the Sire V7 is heavy, the Wal is heavier, and the bitsa P is like wearing a sofa -- so I'm used to it :lol:  I reckon this is lighter than any of those.

14 hours ago, Bassislife16 said:

I was 15 minutes too late. Gutted.  Please let me know if you choose to move this on, I could do with a backup.

Will do, but... don't hold your breath waiting :lol:

• Thanks 1

Back in the day it was Aria or Westone. We never actually came to blows over it and didn't realise the name which really mattered was Matsumoku on the neck plate. 

I have a couple of Thunders, sale pending on one and the other needs a little work to realise its worth. 

Of course if you're lucky to find one given away.... 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Is this an original finish? Love the colour 

3FA09782-FB26-46D4-BCEA-422C21FBADEF.png

Just had a peep at the description and it states it's had a makeover prior to present ownership.  Isn't this the work of one of our Basschat members?  Seem to remember seeing this and another one being done.  Whatever, fabulous makeover!

• Like 1

Update:

Well, despite my best efforts with a new set of switches and a review of the wiring, the active innards remain unresponsive. I think my next move will be to strip it out carefully and replace it with an EMG BTS control I've got lurking around. I can run it at 18v like the original Westone circuit.

• Like 1

I had a Westone Thunder Jet, back in the early 80's. Great bass.
Re the refinishing - I think I'd be tempted to to do an expensive refin job, unless you're adept at it yourself and it isn't going to cost a fortune.
I always liked the colour of these, and the appearance of the contrasting bands of wood - looks fab to me.
Perhaps as you say, best to seal the cracks in the finish, so it doesn't get any worse

Re the electrics - could Kiogon of this parish help you out? He's a great BC'er to deal with and his solderless wiring loom kits are amazing quality and simple to fit
I'm sure he could sort you something, as he's a really helpful sort :) Just a suggestion - I'm sure he'd even advise you on what you need

Great new / old bass - enjoy, I'm sure you will :)

EDIT: The only problem with my Thunder Jet, was the bridge saddle screws protruded outwards quite a bit - and as I played punky style, with plectrum and hand back right at the bridge, I ended up with cuts on the side of my hand. Nowadays, I'd just use a dremmel to shorten the screws - or buy slightly shorter alternatives

Edited by Marc S

Update update:

I've fitted the EMG guts and it's huuuuge :D sounds absolutely awesome.

2 hours ago, prowla said:

Or run it passive?

Yeah, but I'd have to tipp-ex out the 'A' from the trussrod cover :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2