Why become a member? ×

Is this the weakest line up ever for Glastonbury?

On 13/05/2019 at 18:17, Lozz196 said:

We’re on at the Rebellion Festival in Blackpool again this year. 200 plus punk/Oi bands over the first weekend of August, it’s an amazing festival, indoors so no having to trudge through rivers of mud or cope with English skin in sunlight syndrome (also known as sunburn). No idea which stage yet, but that’s all part of the build up.

Played that twice years ago now, when it was called wasted once at Blackpool winter gardens and a second time at Morecambe.. My overall memory of it was seeing oi punks littering the streets passed out, standing behind ex footballer Stuart Pearce as he entered the venue and then playing a set where we had quite a lot of cans thrown at us.... We were a punk/hardcore/funk band and by that stage had all started to wear all white on stage. Was a fun gig, you should have a great time! 

6 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Just been watching Michael Kiwanuka, not really my thing but some tasty lines from his Rickenbacker wielding bass player.

now watching The Comet Is Coming, very interesting.

Agreed and Michael has a phenomenal voice, great British artist and good to see big hair!

8 hours ago, T-Bay said:

He is the only good thing though, they are appalling otherwise. And he is hardly putting on a ‘show’. If that’s what it takes to make the big stage these days..........

That one is quite weird , Martin is a good friend of a friend of mine , and I bump into him at family event that my friend puts on . 

It is very odd to see this down to earth brummie, who you really wouldn’t know in the street, rocking it out to 30,000 dudes who are singing along to your hits B|

I don’t know why it should be odd , but then, I don’t have much social interaction with the stars :lol:

• Haha 1

All the best people are humble whichever sphere of work you are in.

Top man, also internationally renowned  in the field I work in used to pitch in and clean the areas etc. Where the less good egotistical ones would stand back peacocking.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

That one is quite weird , Martin is a good friend of a friend of mine , and I bump into him at family event that my friend puts on . 

It is very odd to see this down to earth brummie, who you really wouldn’t know in the street, rocking it out to 30,000 dudes who are singing along to your hits B|

I don’t know why it should be odd , but then, I don’t have much social interaction with the stars :lol:

Next time You see him, please ask him if he finds Tom’s Page Boy haircut as hilarious as it is horrific

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

May not be everyone’s cup of tea, I happen to like it, but  Stormzy put on one heck of a show.

People underestimate him I feel, he is a clever chap, with good values and a decent artist

I liked his show; a lot of thought and planning, and he engaged well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lurksalot said:

Good for him! Sadly I think the rest of the band just weren’t on it. They didn’t seem interested. I am not the biggest fan to be fair but have always liked them in a ‘ turn up the car radio’ sort of way so it was disappointing to see such a lacklustre performance. Tell him he is wasted on them 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/05/2019 at 10:51, Barking Spiders said:

If I'd bought tickets just after last year's festival I'd be well p1$$3d. 

How old fashioned to go to a 3 day festival in a muddy or dusty (trench foot or sun stroke) field for the artists.

The people I know who go to Glastonbury go for the event.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

Despite my initial scepticism I’m thoroughly enjoying The Killers. They’re, er, killing it.

The singer sounds like an enthusiastic kareoke attempt though. Musically very good band and bringing the party, but I can't get past those vocals.

I certainly can't say I'm the biggest fan of The Killers, but when only half the band can be bothered to show up to headline the so called best festival in the world, it's a bit stinky poo on (i) the band not showing the commitment to the gig, (ii) the festival organisers actually booking them, knowing that only 50% of the official band members are going to bother their derrière actually turning up, and (iii) the fans who paid good money to see them.

I know the guitarist and bassist pulled out a while back of this tour for a break, but I think it's poor that they are still touring as The Killers...one out, fair enough, I'd say that could be accepted, but when 50% of the band need a break...at what point do they officially become Brandon Flower's backing band, albeit they may be in all but name already...?

I'm itching to see The Cure tomorrow night, and I'm seeing them live in Glasgow in August, but if Reeves Gabrels and Simon Gallup are replaced by two other, perhaps-super-talented-non-entities, I can say for sure, I will be pretty whizzed to be honest.

#ItsBrandonsBandAndYourNoPlayinAnd

🤔🙄

5 hours ago, lou24d53 said:

I certainly can't say I'm the biggest fan of The Killers, but when only half the band can be bothered to show up to headline the so called best festival in the world, it's a bit stinky poo on (i) the band not showing the commitment to the gig, (ii) the festival organisers actually booking them, knowing that only 50% of the official band members are going to bother their derrière actually turning up, and (iii) the fans who paid good money to see them.

I know the guitarist and bassist pulled out a while back of this tour for a break, but I think it's poor that they are still touring as The Killers...one out, fair enough, I'd say that could be accepted, but when 50% of the band need a break...at what point do they officially become Brandon Flower's backing band, albeit they may be in all but name already...?

Good job they didn't book Yes 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/06/2019 at 17:43, Bluewine said:

I guess the booking can be a real challenge, maybe the bands they wanted were unavailable

We host Summerfest here in Milwaukee, an 11 day event with 12 headliner main stages including The American Family Amphitheatre. There's so many bands you'd be hard pressed not to find a couple you like. 

$17.00 per day and $7.00 a day for Seniors like me. If you want to avoid the traffic and parking there are shuttles to the grounds in all surrounding counties. $3.00 round trip for Seniors. It might actually be free for us.

We're on the stage with Lover Boy on 7/3.

Why is Glastonbury so expensive?

Blue

I have no idea - it’s ridiculously expensive and a complete opportunity for people to rob you or your tent. Plus Liam Gallagher is there and I cannot f ucking stand him

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

Never liked the Killers. And can't see what the fuss is about with Foals - they haven't even got a bass player!

However, enjoyed Goat Girl - I'm not usually indie-boy but they're just that bit more interesting. Sort of Monochrome Set-meet-The Roches! First band I've watched the whole set of (though with Idles this was because my Mrs complained about the racket).

Janet Jackson was mildly entertaining but, as the Mrs said "what's with the Hitler moustache?" 😄 It just meant you couldn't really tell if it was her singing, or her backing vocalist or a backing track...

Wanted to Like The Comet Is Coming - but found they never quite let go; sax player kept doing repetitive riffs when some Ornette-style squawking would have made it all wig-out properly.

Looking forward to Fat White Family later today...

9 hours ago, lou24d53 said:

I'm itching to see The Cure tomorrow night, and I'm seeing them live in Glasgow in August, but if Reeves Gabrels and Simon Gallup are replaced by two other, perhaps-super-talented-non-entities, I can say for sure, I will be pretty whizzed to be honest.

#ItsBrandonsBandAndYourNoPlayinAnd

🤔🙄

I didn’t realise it was a different guitarist and bassist. 

• Thanks 1