Why become a member? ×

Is this the weakest line up ever for Glastonbury?

7 minutes ago, casapete said:

Just been watching some of Glasto on catch up and was wowed by Sheryl Crow. Amazing band with guitar tones to die for, and the bass sounded wonderful as well. ( Might have to check out some Reverend basses. ) Ms Crow was fantastic, note perfect and full of energy, and even played bass ( Guild M-85) on one tune too. Wish I’d caught her on recent Uk tour.

Saw a bit of Kylie earlier - okay, band great especially the bassist. Mylie Cyrus was better, with Mark Ronson guesting. 

Reverend for sale right now on BC the Meshel N’degecello sig model.

i agree the bassist was legend - 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Reverend for sale right now on BC the Meshel N’degecello sig model.

i agree the bassist was legend - 

Cheers - just checked it out. Looks good, and even qualifies in my ‘under 7lb’ range. May have to investigate! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I felt the same about the Dammed until i saw them last year. Blew me away how heavy they are live. Best mix of the night (supporting the Darkenss and Hollywood Vampires). 

And with Paul Gray back on bass, they have really lifted themselves up in the last couple of years. He takes them back to their best level of musicality.

Oh and apparently they played a blistering set in some tent in a corner at Glasto at the weekend. 😃

Edited by Marky L

The problem I have with Glastonbury is the music. I'm not a fan of most of the guys who play it and I'm not really inclined to wade through the stuff I don't like to get to the few bands I do.

Then there is the BBC coverage. I don't much care for their ideas of how you present a music festival. The trouble with TV people, they can't just show the music. They have to get creative and believe they have to add all their bits which is what makes the show interesting! Take all the BBC rubbish away and just leave the music.

And then, what idiot thought all those bloody flags were a good idea! What's going on there?

Janelle Monae. Did she bring Brandon Gilliard? An amazing bass player. I'll have to have a look on YT and see if her set is there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I felt the same about the Dammed until i saw them last year. Blew me away how heavy they are live. Best mix of the night (supporting the Darkenss and Hollywood Vampires). 

50 minutes ago, Marky L said:

And with Paul Gray back on bass, they have really lifted themselves up in the last couple of years. He takes them back to their best level of musicality.

Oh and apparently they played a blistering set in some tent in a corner at Glasto at the weekend. 😃

Am looking forward to seeing them at Rebellion in Blackpool in a few weeks time.

• Like 1

Easiest way to get to the bands is to get on iPlayer, if you know the stage, and know the time they went on, which is in the Glasto website, they often run the whole day stage filmed and you can just quickly scroll to the stage start time and you are straight into a performance.

• Like 1

Well, given that I don't listen to much mainstream popular music nowadays, I nevertheless decided to dip my toe into the broadcasting of Glasto this year, not having listed to this for at least a decade. I still haven't seen everything on I-Player, so there's a lot of catch-up to do, but so far there's been some stuff that I've enjoyed and some that I haven't. So no change there, in other words. So.....

Janet Jackson - inaudible vocals, though level seemed fine when shouting to the crowd? Ergo, avoiding singing at any volume as voice not what it used to be, instead relying on BV's. One-paced set, too many numbers with exactly the same drumbeat. Dull as ditchwater.

Lewis Capaldi - See this, Ed Sheeran?? THIS is why you need a band, not a fecking Looper!!! Some light and shade, some rhythmic variation, dynamics.. Plenty of good songs, not a bad voice, and taking the p*** out of a Gallagher.  Fine effort.:lol:

Kylie Minogue - Sorry, a dairy allergy prevents my consumption of that much cheese in one sitting.

Kokoroko - oh now THAT's the good stuff!! Thanks BBC for giving them a bit of a feature in a more acoustic-level setting. Fab.

Liam Gallagher - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh no, really, please don't.

Two Door Cinema Club - Consistently excellent set, fine singing and playing, great melodic hook-laden guitar-driven songs. Saw a bad review of their set, which I find incomprehensible.:dash1: Apparently they had the nerve to play some new material, rather than being a mere Greatest Hits Festival Jukebox.....

Christine & The Queens = Emperor & The New Clothes.

And finally, The Cure.....I kept thinking "they can't keep this up, surely?" as they reeled off one great piece of music after another.  If I had gone to that Festival, that is absolutely the kind of stuff that I'd have wanted to see. Nice that Robert Smith seemed genuinely overwhelmed by the crowd reaction.

Still, I'm off to Love Supreme next week, for Sparky Yuppy, Chicory Ear, Jamie Column and the like. We'll see how that turns out...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mangotango said:

And finally, The Cure.....I kept thinking "they can't keep this up, surely?" as they reeled off one great piece of music after another.  If I had gone to that Festival, that is absolutely the kind of stuff that I'd have wanted to see. Nice that Robert Smith seemed genuinely overwhelmed by the crowd reaction.

I was totally underwhelmed by the main set, just the usual thin droning sound  with lacklustre vocals.

Then the encore came and they did all their cheerful, bouncy stuff and it was very good.

image.thumb.png.789b37ae3aaacf7668f0dbb7c8dc7996.png

31 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Jeff Goldblum and some tasty jazzy tunes,

I wasn't impressed by him (apart from his trousers! I've got their twin brother) - he seemed to spend much of the time gurning at the audience then playing something a bit lacklustre. Band were good though!

2 hours ago, mangotango said:

Janet Jackson - inaudible vocals, though level seemed fine when shouting to the crowd? Ergo, avoiding singing at any volume as voice not what it used to be, instead relying on BV's. One-paced set, too many numbers with exactly the same drumbeat. Dull as ditchwater.

Agree entirely. Re Janet Jackson, what are these artists thinking when they try these shenanigans with the vocals? Do they really think that people don't notice? Initially I thought the oversized mic was purely to obscure the veiwer from any out of time miming!

Really enjoyed The Cure. They sounded great and I thought their show was a fitting end to the festival.

I also agree with previous posts that this year more than any other the bass sound in general seemed to be far more audible in broadcasts across the weekend.

30 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

‘Droning’ and ‘lacklustre’ is a little harsh on Mr.Smith. I can appreciate that his voice isn’t for everyone, but I believe he does put his heart and soul into his performance.

Sorry, but that's the way I felt  - underwhelmed.

BTW, it was the music as a whole, not specifically the vocals.

Clearly there was a plan to split the performance into two distinct halves and finish on a positive. I just hope there weren't too many people who slunk off, worn down by the first half because the second half was very good.

On 30/06/2019 at 00:05, lou24d53 said:

I certainly can't say I'm the biggest fan of The Killers, but when only half the band can be bothered to show up to headline the so called best festival in the world, it's a bit stinky poo on (i) the band not showing the commitment to the gig, (ii) the festival organisers actually booking them, knowing that only 50% of the official band members are going to bother their derrière actually turning up, and (iii) the fans who paid good money to see them.

I know the guitarist and bassist pulled out a while back of this tour for a break, but I think it's poor that they are still touring as The Killers...one out, fair enough, I'd say that could be accepted, but when 50% of the band need a break...at what point do they officially become Brandon Flower's backing band, albeit they may be in all but name already...?

I'm itching to see The Cure tomorrow night, and I'm seeing them live in Glasgow in August, but if Reeves Gabrels and Simon Gallup are replaced by two other, perhaps-super-talented-non-entities, I can say for sure, I will be pretty whizzed to be honest.

#ItsBrandonsBandAndYourNoPlayinAnd

🤔🙄

The Cure have been through a few line ups mind you .A good majority of punters are there for Flowers and the songs ,simple as.Same reason Smith hires and fires 

3 hours ago, Daz39 said:

Just catching up on BBC Sounds app: Jeff Goldblum and some tasty jazzy tunes, with good upright noises too.

3 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I wasn't impressed by him (apart from his trousers! I've got their twin brother) - he seemed to spend much of the time gurning at the audience then playing something a bit lacklustre. Band were good though!

Isn’t it funny how we differ in our perception of stuff? I watched about ten minutes of JG’s set, and (although to be fair not exactly my type of thing ) couldn’t stand the ‘upright noises’ which to me seemed quite out of tune, with dodgy intonation especially during the solo sections. Or is that how it’s supposed to be? Jeff seemed content to make occasional stabs on the piano and talk over the soloists too, bit strange.

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Isn’t it funny how we differ in our perception of stuff? I watched about ten minutes of JG’s set, and (although to be fair not exactly my type of thing ) couldn’t stand the ‘upright noises’ which to me seemed quite out of tune, with dodgy intonation especially during the solo sections. Or is that how it’s supposed to be? Jeff seemed content to make occasional stabs on the piano and talk over the soloists too, bit strange.

I think Jeff is the entertainment, the music is just there also. He has a semi-regular session in LA that is part improv comedy and part music.

• Like 2

On 30/06/2019 at 12:43, PaulWarning said:

just watching Liam Gallagher on the iplayer,  I know he's marmite but I enjoyed it, dare I say Lennon esque vocals? and why shouldn't he do Oasis songs? I know he didn't write them but Sinatra didn't write My Way either

The difference I think was that Lennon write his own songs and could carry a tune in a bucket 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Liam was a bit better than I thought, not much, but a bit. 

The charlatans were good although I cannot imagine why Tim Burgess thought it a good idea To wear dungarees - he looked like a demented kids tv presenter

Sheryl crow was simply fabulous. 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1