Why become a member? ×

Is this the weakest line up ever for Glastonbury?

I think I would have found plenty to enjoy - Stormzy sounds like he gave one of those gigs that you wish you were at whether or not you are deeply into the music.

Dig deep into the list and there are some gems. Hawkwind headlined the Acoustic stage on saturday. Bootleg Beatles there today (not yesterday...)

Steeleye Span, Fatboy Slim, Billy Bragg, Proclaimers, Chemical Brothers

Even Bring Me the Horizon as a guilty pleasure (my daughter was into them as a yopung teenager...)

But 100 stages? And other festivals across the UK. Fifteen years ago people said the internet was going to kill live music.

• Like 1

I get you on that, but physical or mental fatigue can’t be sniffed at, and should be supported or can lead to deeper problems.

On the plus side, 2 other musicians that may have not got to play Glastonbury have done that - that surely is a plus

• Like 1

The bassist, I believe wanted a break from touring.

The guitarist then said same from what can gather, but since he stopped, has written, released and is/has toured his solo project.

At what point does "The Killers" as a band therefore become "Brandon Flowers" as a solo artist?

Edit:

Just reading up, bassist wasn't enjoying touring and reading between the lines, there does sound like there may be a level of mental fatigue, perhaps bordering on depression. 

The guitarist appears to have thrown the toys out, unhappy his songs constantly being overlooked, therefore embarked on his own solo project. Says he hasn't officially quit the band, but has no intention touring with them again - how does that work?

Edited by lou24d53

5 minutes ago, lou24d53 said:

The bassist, I believe wanted a break from touring.

The guitarist then said same from what can gather, but since he stopped, has written, released and is/has toured his solo project.

At what point does "The Killers" as a band therefore become "Brandon Flowers" as a solo artist?

Why pick on the Killers? There are zillions of bands who have had more drastic lineup changes.

No different to Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio and Carmine Appice, if you are still playing the same music. Would anyone other than the most committed Ozzy dieghard have said that wasn't Black Sabbath back in the mid 80s? I'd agree if the music had changed significantly, like later versions of Sabbath that were intended to be Iommi solo projects.

The difference here is they have left the door open for people to return.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Why pick on the Killers?

Purely because they were on when I was channel hopping last night.

I get that with other bands, same for The Cure who I love and looking forward to seeing tonight, they've had umpteen line up changes.

I guess I'm looking at it from point of view that other bands actually change and evolve official line ups as necessary, they don't effectively have a studio line up and a live touring line up, as it looks like The Killers are currently deploying.

Don't get me wrong, it didn't keep me awake last night! 😂👍

29 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Why pick on the Killers? There are zillions of bands who have had more drastic lineup changes.

Exactly! People need look no further than the reincarnation of Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. Now that is a real travesty!

I thought the Killers were good: the tour players are good and drummer was on it. Yeah Brandon gets a bit club singer live but he is a great showman and the crowd know every word and sway so it’s a win for them.

22 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Her band are excellent. I personally didn’t think she was. The first couple of songs were very pitchy.

Agree on the band - and whilst I am far from being any form of expert I agree on the vocals statement.

She is a quiet singer and it’s always a bit wrong when speaking voice is louder than singing voice. To me at the end when she actually opened her pipes and went for it, then she sounded amazing. Wouldn’t be surprised if emotion played a part

2 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

It might be me, but the a lot of vocals started very faint - BBC sound?

😎

Yeah I've noticed that too. Janet Jackson was almost inaudible, even when she switched to a standard mic. 

Tbh, I don't think any of the vocals I've heard (and I've only dipped in and out of the coverage) have been very impressive. The bands sound great, vocals have been meh