Why become a member? ×

Is this the weakest line up ever for Glastonbury?

You might not like Christine and the Queens but they are far from "Run of the mill"

As for all the old has been's, I agree. Must be lots of young new acts out there who are gagging to play to a big festival crowd. Why is Glasto starting to sound like radio 2, or worse?

3 minutes ago, mikel said:

You might not like Christine and the Queens but they are far from "Run of the mill"

As for all the old has been's, I agree. Must be lots of young new acts out there who are gagging to play to a big festival crowd. Why is Glasto starting to sound like radio 2, or worse?

Could be worse, T InThe Park ended up like the Asda Charts...and with the ASBO crowd in full attendance!!

• Haha 1

Glastonbury is so huge these days, with so many stages and other things happening that the line up on the two main stages is only a fraction of what's going on.

For what it's worth I reckon Stormzy will get a far bigger crowd for his Pyramid headline set than some of the more established headliners in recent years.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

Over the decades Glastonbury has gradually transitioned from awful hippy dismalness to trendy hipster dismalness. Aside from the fact I despise festivals, I've never been remotely tempted either by the lineups or the event itself.

Although I understand French brutalists Gojira are on this year - possibly the only band I'd actually bother watching since Tool played it in '94.

Donkey's years ago, a couple of work colleagues (who had just become an item) went to Glasto. I was quite jealous as it was a good lineup that year with loads of bands I'd love to have seen. When they arrived back in the office I was dying to know who they'd seen. Every time I named a band, they said "nah, didn't see them either". Turned out they had spent the entire weekend in their tent smoking weed and banging each other's brains out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cato said:

Glastonbury is so huge these days, with so many stages and other things happening that the line up on the two main stages is only a fraction of what's going on.

For what it's worth I reckon Stormzy will get a far bigger crowd for his Pyramid headline set than some of the more established headliners in recent years.

Will there be mysterious white substances to hand though ?

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

Donkey's years ago, a couple of work colleagues (who had just become an item) went to Glasto. I was quite jealous as it was a good lineup that year with loads of bands I'd love to have seen. When they arrived back in the office I was dying to know who they'd seen. Every time I named a band, they said "nah, didn't see them either". Turned out they had spent the entire weekend in their tent smoking weed and banging each other's brains out.

Sounds good (apart from the weed), s3x and a soundtrack, for a full weekend. What’s not to like 

31 minutes ago, Rich said:

. Every time I named a band, they said "nah, didn't see them either". Turned out they had spent the entire weekend in their tent smoking weed and banging each other's brains out.

That sounds like a better way to spend a festival than watching some bands!

• Haha 1

Guest subaudio

Glasto to me is all about Greenfield's, Avalon and Leftfield, that's where, to me, the heart of Glasto is.

I've never been to main stage to watch a band, I did stroll down there during the day once but turned back once it got to knee deep in empty beer cans and rubbish.

On 10/05/2019 at 17:34, skankdelvar said:

TBPH, there's been nothing much for me at Glastonbury since 1971:

Melanie
Quintessence 
The Edgar Broughton Band
Pink Fairies 
Terry Reid
Gong 
David Bowie 
Hawkwind 
Arthur Brown 
Brinsley Schwartz
Fairport Convention 
Family 
Traffic

A well-lubricated Marc Bolan put in non-musical appearance, fell offstage and totally wrecked the bong I'd spent weeks making. Luckily Steve Hillage was around to dole out some privet and keep everything cosmically smooth.

Great times.

I’ve only heard of four of them, and couldn’t name a single song by three of those four.

Doesn't this happen every few years though? Are there any big name bands currently touring?

On 10/05/2019 at 17:36, YouMa said:

You can create your own Glastonbury festival at home. Pitch a tent in your garden,put on radio 6 Then get whizzed and stoned out of your mind. Don't forget to steal your own shoes and urinate  up the side of your tent.

And for the full effect don't forget to ask your neighbours and any passers by to throw their rubbish into your garden too.

The Damned (always a spectacle to behold) are playing in one of the tents this year. Paul Gray is back on permanent bass duties, so that would've been the highlight for me, but I can't justify forking out my hard earned on Mr Evis' extortionate jamboree.

• Like 1