Why become a member? ×

Is this the weakest line up ever for Glastonbury?

That seems to be the general view out there. If I'd bought tickets just after last year's festival I'd be well p1$$3d.  I'd only bother with the Chemical Brothers, Sigrid and Jon Hopkins. The rest are plain mediocre at best. On the one hand there's loads of ageing acts high up the bill who are well past it and never that great to start with (Cure, Wu Tang Clan, Snow Patrol, Kylie, Janet Jackson, Liam Gallagher) . Then there are others who're are pretty run of the mill (Vampire Weekend,  Christine & The Queens, Bastille, George Ezra, Janelle Monae, Years and Years). Anyone here going and are well chuffed or anyone bought tickets long ago and wish they'd never wasted the dosh?

Festivals are my idea of hell, both as an audience member and is a performer.

If I was on at Glastonbury, I'd want to helicoptered in 5 minutes before I was due on stage and out again the moment the last note of the encore was finished.

Having said that I wouldn't mind seeing the Cure, but I won't be going to Glastonbury to do it.

• Like 7

I'm not saying the Cure are bad. I quite liked them in the 80s but they always were a cult act and never big enough to warrant headline status. The Killers? what, a couple of hits many moons ago and Stormzy? flavour of the month with one album. Kylie? a 50 year old woman still singing fluffy pop! And Janet Jackson hasn't had a UK top 20 hit since 2006 and her last US release in 2015 sold less than 250,000

47 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm not saying the Cure are bad. I quite liked them in the 80s but they always were a cult act and never big enough to warrant headline status. The Killers? what, a couple of hits many moons ago and Stormzy? flavour of the month with one album. Kylie? a 50 year old woman still singing fluffy pop! And Janet Jackson hasn't had a UK top 20 hit since 2006 and her last US release in 2015 sold less than 250,000

The Cure are massive. They filled Hyde Park at their 40th anniversary gig last year. 

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The Cure are massive. They filled Hyde Park at their 40th anniversary gig last year. 

If I was into the Cure I'd want to see them with a load of Cure fans, not in a mixed festival audience. Seeing bands with a cult following is great, whether you're into them or not, it's being among those that are in awe of them that makes it special. I've not been to many festivals but I find people are there only bothered about one act out of many a day and the rest is just filler before/ after who they want to see, it takes some of the shine off the experience when compared to being in the crowd where everyone is there to see the main event and excited about it. 

48 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Sure they've got a decent size fanbase but massive, I think not. In the UK they've got just four gold discs and a total of 4 x platinum in the US and haven't made a studio album in 10 years.

4 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Sure they've got a decent size fanbase but massive, I think not. In the UK they've got just four gold discs and a total of 4 x platinum in the US and haven't made a studio album in 10 years.

New studio album out later this year.

I never really liked The Cure that much, but then someone gave me a ticket to see them live and I was amazed, opinion def changed. The drabness that they seemed to act out on Top of The Pops etc was replaced with a really tight, melodic and energetic performance. They’re still not a fave of mine but I’d say to anyone who hasn’t seen them live, unless you really hate their music reserve opinion until you have, they’re much better live than I’d expected.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm not saying the Cure are bad. I quite liked them in the 80s but they always were a cult act and never big enough to warrant headline status.

As mentioned, The Cure sold out Hyde Park last year, they've sold out every gig this tour...they're one band I will purposely try to see anytime they play the UK nowadays...seeing them at Bellahouston Park in August, before that saw them twice at RAH and at Wembley Arena...two gigs so far and they've played 69 songs over those two, with at least 3 encores each time...The Cure are a phenomenal band in my book, live they simply incredible too...

• Like 1

Have to agree it's a pretty weak line-up, a few acts I'd like to see, especially The Cure, but overall it doesn't feel that exciting.

Have to agree with the Kylie and Janet Jackson comments, I can't see why they are the big headline acts.

The Cure? Debut album 40 years ago. 

Can you imagine in 1979, if a major festivals' major attraction was a band that had made their debut in 1939? Same time difference.

Some of the acts mentioned have been around 20, some 30, years alone. Part of the festivals' suffering is over-population, just too many out there still doing it. Harder for new acts, as they're constantly playing alongside their elders. Years ago, I don't think this was happening (or not to this extent).

Bands don't split up, just go on far too long past their (some arguably never had it) prime. There, I've said it! 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

TBPH, there's been nothing much for me at Glastonbury since 1971:

Melanie
Quintessence 
The Edgar Broughton Band
Pink Fairies 
Terry Reid
Gong 
David Bowie 
Hawkwind 
Arthur Brown 
Brinsley Schwartz
Fairport Convention 
Family 
Traffic

A well-lubricated Marc Bolan put in non-musical appearance, fell offstage and totally wrecked the bong I'd spent weeks making. Luckily Steve Hillage was around to dole out some privet and keep everything cosmically smooth.

Great times.

• Like 5

I'm not a huge Cure 'fan', but they have some good tunes, and through the intranet at work got the opportunity for a couple of cheap tickets for last Summer's sold out Hyde Park gig. Weather forecast was good for the weekend so we went for it, at least it'd be a nice day out with tunes and sunshine....

Honestly, they were brilliant, I'd go and see them again in a heartbeat.

You can create your own Glastonbury festival at home. Pitch a tent in your garden,put on radio 6 Then get whizzed and stoned out of your mind. Don't forget to steal your own shoes and urinate  up the side of your tent.

Edited by YouMa
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3