Why become a member? ×

Reblacking tarnish

YouMa

Depending on the component & how much physical contact it has, you can get decent results from rattlecan paint:

matfakertailpiececrop.jpg.0c13b858ecda33c604e2ba2ef94389db.jpg

This got cleaned up to remove the corrosion & the pitting from the plating, surface roughened to key it, coat of grey metal primer then satin black:

fgtailpiece.jpg.0105503c08172dd3432c25499335834a.jpg

Did this 8 or 9 years ago, still looks as good now - although if I played with a pick & rested my hand on it, I don't think it would be too durable.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Depending on the component & how much physical contact it has, you can get decent results from rattlecan paint:

matfakertailpiececrop.jpg.0c13b858ecda33c604e2ba2ef94389db.jpg

This got cleaned up to remove the corrosion & the pitting from the plating, surface roughened to key it, coat of grey metal primer then satin black:

fgtailpiece.jpg.0105503c08172dd3432c25499335834a.jpg

Did this 8 or 9 years ago, still looks as good now - although if I played with a pick & rested my hand on it, I don't think it would be too durable.

Nice job!

Every bass I’ve ever got preowned or in a trade usually has disgusting screws. Rust and DNA gunk etc. 

I usually remove the screws. Soak in either Coke/Vinegar for a few hours, I then remove them, dry them off and use fine grit wet & dry paper over the heads, (not the threads) to remove any remaining rust until the head of the screw is clean. I then soak the screws in oil, usually a small amount of WD40 in a cup to neutralise the vinegar and stop any further rusting.

I will usually do this on all screws when I get a preowned bass, it’s especially important to keep screws clean, (bridge screws too!) because nothing annoys me more than doing a trade for a perfectly adjustable bass and getting a bass home mid setup to then realise I’m working on a bridge I can’t adjust due to seized screws and neglect or pickups I can’t lower/raise due to rusty/stripped screwheads.

I do not understand how & why bass players don’t look after their instruments and let stuff get that dirty & mank. 

Obviously if the screws are stripped just remove and replace. 

Look after your damn Instruments people!!

Oh and if you’re doing a trade:

1. Please clean your disgusting gunk/sweat/bodily fluids off the instrument before the trade, handing over a dusty, dirty bass shows you really have no regard for your belongings, cleaning an instrument pre trade is appreciated. 

2. Disclose any dysfunctional/non working part so you’re not screwing someone over and they realise what they are getting/dealing with. 

Tech & Trade addict rant over. 

Edited by Bassislife16