Why become a member? ×

Ibanez pot/knob size?

Hi all

recently a tone knob fell off one of the pots on my SR1300 and was lost. I ordered a replacement set from EBay and was disappointed to find they wouldn’t fit on the shaft. The holes are slight too small for the shaft.. Not having any calliper or means of measuring the shaft diameter I had to guess what should be the correct size and after some perusal of Amazon and eBay I concluded that there are two sizes of knob, I had bought the smaller one and therefore I now ordered what I thought would be the larger,correct size.

Dear Reader, imagine my surprise when I discovered that these new knobs were also too small! Now I have a quite a collection of knobs but still none that fit.

Do Ibanez bass guitars have an unusual pot shaft size? Can anyone tell me what size or type I need to order?

22 hours ago, ped said:

I bet you ordered 6mm shaft sized pots but the actual shafts are 6.35mm or 1/4”

I think you could be right! Not easy to measure with a cheap plastic ruler but this is what they look like, with the lonely tone pot missing its embellishment.

21 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Are they this style? One's 15mm diameter the other 20mm diameter.

ebVRBCZ.jpg

I bought these from Maplin about 25 years ago!! They are for a 1/4" (6.35mm) shaft. Let me know if you are having difficulty sourcing them.

I think the diameter of the knobs I’ve bought are more like 17 or 18mm. The bass and treble tone pot knobs on the Ibanez are about 13mm diameter.

2A8CCE69-23B6-490B-AE9C-E51C6F9DF3A6.jpeg

297F632D-DC37-49F2-B334-0C7A8362FF1F.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Autobot22 said:

I think the diameter of the knobs I’ve bought are more like 17 or 18mm. The bass and treble tone pot knobs on the Ibanez are about 13mm diameter.

2A8CCE69-23B6-490B-AE9C-E51C6F9DF3A6.jpeg

297F632D-DC37-49F2-B334-0C7A8362FF1F.jpeg

The knurled knobs you have in your picture next to the ruler look like they are designed for a splined shaft like this CTS pot:

FjR49SL.png

Whereas the shaft on your bass is a solid type (which come in 6mm or 6.35mm diameter). Can you take off one of the other knobs of the same size and measure the diameter and I'll have a search..

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

23 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

The knurled knobs you have in your picture next to the ruler look like they are designed for a splined shaft like this CTS pot:

FjR49SL.png

Whereas the shaft on your bass is a solid type (which come in 6mm or 6.35mm diameter). Can you take off one of the other knobs of the same size and measure the diameter and I'll have a search..

The other tone pot knobs are 12-13 mm in diameter and you are absolutely right - they don’t have a spline fit. Any help would be highly appreciated because I have just spent 25 minutes on the inter web with no luck finding 1/4 inch black knobs in any diameter let alone 12 or 13 mm. 

8 minutes ago, Autobot22 said:

The other tone pot knobs are 12-13 mm in diameter and you are absolutely right - they don’t have a spline fit. Any help would be highly appreciated because I have just spent 25 minutes on the inter web with no luck finding 1/4 inch black knobs in any diameter let alone 12 or 13 mm. 

Drop me a pm and I'll send one of the small knobs to you.