Why become a member? ×

Cleaning

Nikksie

Hi all I'm learning the bass and have been given a guitar to get me started, it needs a good clean so can anyone recommend the best way to do this and what to use, I've looked at products online and it's quite confusing, im going to fit new strings at the same time, thanks in advance for any help, nikksie

A damp cloth, maybe with a little bit of detergent will clean most muck. A clean-ish old toothbrush might help, especially around the bridge to shift the dust bunnies. A rosewood fretboard might like a tiny wipe of lemon oil after cleaning.

• Like 2

Thanks for the great suggestions, the guitar is new ish but has been under a teenager's bed for a year so is just a bit dusty and has some finger Mark's where I've had a play so hopefully will clean up nicely, I thought it would be a good idea while the strings were off to tidy it up, thanks again, nikksie 

Welcome to the forum.

A 1" paint brush (and vacuum cleaner if you want to suck it away) will flick the dust out from under control knobs, around pickup cavities, tuners, Bridge, etc. 

13 hours ago, Maude said:

Welcome to the forum.

A 1" paint brush (and vacuum cleaner if you want to suck it away) will flick the dust out from under control knobs, around pickup cavities, tuners, Bridge, etc. 

I do that...are you stalking me??

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Nicksie as a big fan of James Jamerson don't bother cleaning it or changing the strings as the dirt and grime add to the Funk lol....myself I never clean mine and very rarely change the strings, hate the sound and feel of new strings especially roundwounds, but everyone is different, well worn in strings and a foam mute under the strings at the bridge give the bass that old fashioned warm thud....new strings are annoyingly ringy with lots of unwanted overtones at times just my opinion, best of luck.

• Like 1