Why become a member? ×

An event idea; feedback welcomed!

cammymaxwellbass

Hi everybody, I was wondering if I could ask for some feedback from the bass community?

I’m thinking of organising a bass specific event similar to other instrument festivals around the world, and I’m reaching out to you all to see how much interest there may be, and if so what you would like to have at such an event.  I'm aware that similar events do already exist, but this would be in Glasgow (where I'm based) and very accessible, friendly and low key :)

Features could include the following;

1: Masterclasses - presentations given on a variety of subjects (technique, studio experience, theory, industry stories, etc)

2: Workshops - more participatory sessions focussing on various aspects of musicianship, attendees are encouraged to bring an instrument and play

3: Luthiers - a chance to meet instrument makers and try their instruments

4: Amp/pedal makers - a chance to meet equipment makers and try their products

5: Performances - concerts given by solo bassists, bass fronted ensembles, bands with prominent bass players, etc

6: Other/any more ideas?

Even if you have a minute to comment with the numbers (1-6) of the things that you’d be most up for attending that would be extremely helpful. Of course more detailed feedback in this thread or via PM also welcomed.

Thanks in advance bassers, looking forward to hearing all of your thoughts!

Cammy

• Like 1

Sounds like some of the bigger Bass bashes and also the events run in Manchester by Stevie Williams a few years before the London Bass Guitar Shows.

1. Yes, I had Scott Devine and Geoff give a masterclass at a Yorkshire Bass Bash many years ago before he was on YT. That was interesting and would be even more popular now too.

2. Workshops are well attended at the LBGS, let's face it anything to get away from all those slappers... the SE Bass Bash has had such luminaries as Herbie Flowers, John Bentley and Mo Foster I think. There are plenty of  celeb Bassists in Scotland: Ewen Vernal,Johnny McElhone etc etc who may be interested

3. I expect Alan Cringdean from Moffat  could be interested, it may be a bit hard getting some of the Southern Luthiers up there. Alan came down to a Yorkshire Bass Bash too.

4.You need to steer clear of other  euro events and Namm to get the big makers along, we had the Northern rep from Markbass when it was with Proel at the YBB.

5. You'll need to sell a lot of tickets to get some of the bigger names along, if they are touring nearby it could help. I remember seeing Poogie Bell in Manchester,  the venue was also the Music College so they piggybacked onto who was visiting.

6. I know the Manchester and London Shows were/are months in the planning and are run as a commercial venture with fees for stands etc etc.

You may wish to set up a Scottish Bass Bash first to test the water, there is lots of info in this Lounge from those who have run Bashes. Good Luck!

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 1

Thanks for the generous feedback york5stringer, very much appreciated!

I think you're right in that it may have to start life as more of a bass bash type event, but really encouraging that such big names have been into the idea in the past :)  watch this space I suppose!

In the meantime please keep the feedback coming folks, I'm very open to everyone's thoughts and ideas!

C

• Like 1

Speak to Alan Crigean from ACG@skelf. He's a member here and arranged the Moffat Bash for a few years.

Bashes are notoriously difficult to arrange - I arranged the Herts Bash for a few years which was a lot of work, generally cost me, personally, a few hundred quid and involved a lot of running around and calling in favours.

The value of the raffle prizes we gave away was more than  was generated by the sale of raffle tickets (I managed to get brand new MM Ray Subs as prizes). It was pretty demoralising when winners of the bass sold them off on eBay and made more than the raffle did. All the proceeds we made went to the venue, a local Youth Club.

I stopped arranging them as I felt the attendance didn't justify the work involved, even though there was loads of positive feedback and a good time was had by most. 

Please don't let my cynicism put you off (I've been suffering with depression and stress for a few years). You really need a lot of patience and contacts to put on a Bass Bash but they can be a great day out and chance to build relationships with other BCers.

Good luck, if you decide to have a go.

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@scrumpymike has been organizing South West bashes for the last 3 years and they are turning out to be roaring successes. This year's was completely brilliant, more and more guys are turning up each year. Might be worth tapping him for advice/suggestions?

As for shows, I like to have a good representation of used kit, parts, oddments, and junk boxes; I rarely buy new.

For me the Kempton Park one has been pretty much spot-on; between that and the SE Bass bash I have a couple of things I look forward to.

(@TheGreek I sure hope the costs are more than covered and the effort is worth it for the SE Bass Bash, which I know you go to 'cos  we've met there!).

• 3 weeks later...