Why become a member? ×

Gig cancelled - the start of a flurry i think ;-)

Mudpup

We're on for a pub gig that night, but it's always a 10:30 start/1am finish, so it won't make much difference. Plus it's not exactly a hotbed of Liverpool/Spurs support locally here, so it'll be more casual interest...actually, saying that, the place doesn't tend to show the football, so it'll be full of ladies till much later on, I'm guessing.

Win-win... 😀

an old band of mine played a couple of gigs on England football nights (that we'd not realised when we made the bookings) in pubs that weren't showing the game and the crowds were always significantly worse than usual

On the way to a gig on Saturday, the singer was telling us how his two lads had asked if he could take them to the pub to watch some football that was on that afternoon.  Them too young to drink, him too uninterested in football to want to watch it, but he thought he'd encourage their new interests so bought a paper and read that while they watched the game.  On the way back they were explaining to him how the team they have chosen to follow, Liverpool, had got to the Champion's League final, and could he take them to see a Liverpool game next season?  Yes lads, not sure about going to Liverpool but maybe when they play in London...

He then googled tickets for their next game (yesterday's game against Wolves) and saw that on re-sale sites it was £120, and several grand for the Champion's League final, and decided that perhaps this taking the kids to football business isn't something that is likely to happen.  I explained to him the significance of the Wolves game and that it might not be as expensive when they're not in with a chance of winning the Premiership, but I'm not sure that his kids will be seeing Liverpool any time soon.  But he does like the idea of taking them to the local non-league club

My younger son supported Newcastle in his youth. I took him to one game a season which they invariably lost - we lived in Hampshire, so had to sit with the home supporters of Palace, Wimbledon, etc. Just as well they rarely scored!

He has since seen the light and, like his dad and brother, supports Fulham. Insert your own punchline here...😩

I took my lad to see Oldham a few years ago (and no, they didn't lose 😏), the same as when my Grandad took me when I was a kid*, and he was much more interested in the halftime pies...I gave up then, and looked at it as a lot of weekly cost saved...

* His first choice was OT, us being Manc Reds and all, but OT in the early 70s wasn't exactly a kid-friendly environment...

I don't really understand how anybody could actually support a team - especially a premier league one. After all, they don't represent a town or city - I mean it's not just local lads from the pub playing on a Sunday morning. It's really only about money - supporting Manchester United is like having a favourite corporate entity; imagine the trouble if the Goldman Sachs Crew ran into the Rio Tinto Zinc Mob!

• Like 1

I was cured of any interest I might have had in watching football by being taken to see Notts County draw 0-0 against Workington Town on a cold, wet miserable Saturday afternoon in 1968. Despite the fact that we were stood behind one of the goals, all the action happened at the other end of the pitch in both halves. I couldn't wait to get home to the warm and dry and do something more interesting like play with my Lego.