Why become a member? ×

Gig cancelled - the start of a flurry i think ;-)

Mudpup

Just had our gig on Saturday June 1st scratched by the venue.....to be fair they've offered an alternative though.

Some football match happening that everyone's suddenly got interested in apparently 😉

Anyone due out that night may want to check with the venue.......

We have a gig booked that night, when it was booked the venue said "You'll be starting later than usual due to the football."  We're hoping that by the time we play the "audience" will be suitbaly lashed up and in a mood to party

Edited by DrBike
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

We had our gig on saturday delayed by some football match. Just as well, if something is on the telly the guitarist watches it and looses more concentration.

Imagine him and I in the same band! 😂🤪

One long drum solo 😳

• Haha 1

On 09/05/2019 at 17:09, DrBike said:

We have a gig booked that night, when it was booked the venue said "You'll be starting later than usual due to the football."  We're hoping that by the time we play the "audience" will be suitbaly lashed up and in a mood to party

Half of them should be! 😀

It's always amazed me, the obsession with football...

If you put on a gig round here with 4 bands - all of them of decent quality - and charge £3 folks will say "it's too expensive" and you'll be lucky to get 50 people.

However, if someone arranges a coach to see Hereford Town playing Forest Green Rovers at £20 for the coach each plus entrance fee it will fill up in seconds. Watching 22 blokes running round a field chasing a ball is obviously much more exciting than rock'n'roll - though as anybody should know from their schooldays, the cool guys were never the jocks...

16 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

It's always amazed me, the obsession with football...

If you put on a gig round here with 4 bands - all of them of decent quality - and charge £3 folks will say "it's too expensive" and you'll be lucky to get 50 people.

However, if someone arranges a coach to see Hereford Town playing Forest Green Rovers at £20 for the coach each plus entrance fee it will fill up in seconds. Watching 22 blokes running round a field chasing a ball is obviously much more exciting than rock'n'roll - though as anybody should know from their schooldays, the cool guys were never the jocks...

I was talking about this yesterday. I was watching the F1 which was in Spain and the commentators starting talking about Barcelona and some football match or championship that Barcelona didn't get through to or something. What bugged me was the way he was talking as if we all followed football and knew exactly what he was talking about. I had no idea and no interest and you never here then talking about Rugby or Cricket but its as if we all follow football.

• Like 1

Always amazes me the shock and awe I’m greeted with when I say I don’t follow football.

My lad does and obviously that means he plays in a team. The parents all discuss the ins and outs of the premier league that week while the lads play and I genuinely have no input.

Mrs T has become quite the follower (which is nice, good that we join in with his hobby) and I must admit it eventually boils the fluid in my eyes when it becomes the sole topic of discussion...I’ve slyly got him into WWE wrestling (pulled all of my 90’s WWF figuers out of my mums loft) just so there’s another topic - not because it’s any good.

But there is an assumption you’ll just love football if you’re a bloke. And there is a train of thought that it’s ‘wrong’ not to like football.

My eldest daughters mum was a mad Manchester United fan, when I met her extended crowd I was asked who I supported “nobody, don’t really follow football...” ‘what’s wrong with you, are you gay?’

A genuine conversation - so many flaws in the response...

Anyhow...I often defer to this

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ah yes, the dreaded Football Conversation. Endless variations on the following:-

Them: "So, who do you support/Did you see the match last night/Are you going to watch the match tonight/What do you think about this team/player/manager/fixture?"

Me: "Sorry, I don't really follow football."

Them: "....."

57 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Always amazes me the shock and awe I’m greeted with when I say I don’t follow football.

I like football but must sympathise with those that don't follow it. This David Mitchell skit is bang on the money and I do find myself finding the whole 'HOW IMPORTANT COULD THAT GOAL/SAVE/PENALTY/REFEREEING DECISION BE?' hyperbole becoming more and more ludicrous. That and the obscene amounts of money swilling around.

Edited by upside downer

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

My eldest daughters mum was a mad Manchester United fan, when I met her extended crowd I was asked who I supported “nobody, don’t really follow football...” ‘what’s wrong with you, are you gay?’

Funnily enough, I've had the exact same conversation.

My response to the idiot in question was "Well you're the one who gets excited watching men in hot pants and knee length socks chasing each other around a field" 

The idiot in question went so red with rage that I thought he was going to explode but he just ended up walking off. Just as well as I thought he was going to beach slap me xD

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Fozza said:

Ah yes, the dreaded Football Conversation. Endless variations on the following:-

Them: "So, who do you support/Did you see the match last night/Are you going to watch the match tonight/What do you think about this team/player/manager/fixture?"

"Did you see that ludicrous display last night?"

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Funnily enough, I've had the exact same conversation.

My response to the idiot in question was "Well you're the one who gets excited watching men in hot pants and knee length socks chasing each other around a field" 

The idiot in question went so red with rage that I thought he was going to explode but he just ended up walking off. Just as well as I thought he was going to beach slap me xD

I've found football supports have absolutely no sense of humor when it comes to their own football team. I'm more than happy for someone to take the mick out of my favourite F1 team or driver ( I support Renault and have supported Alesi, Montoya and Alonso so quite an easy target at times) but football fans seem to not be able to take with some sort of humor. I wonder if it the gang/tribe mentality.

1 hour ago, Fozza said:

Pretty well my childhood.