Richard R

Smuggling bass lines into worship songs (or any other songs for that matter)

I once decided to have a 'black knight' evening at a function gig. It's surprising what that riff will fit into.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BassTractor said:

As an organ player, I stopped smuggling popular tunes into my improvisations during services at one specific point: a little child loudly sang along with the popular kids tune that was my contraband that day.

Are you telling us that you, the Organ(ist), Stop(ped) passing wind? 

If so, it must have been a relief all round.  :D

On 10/05/2019 at 15:16, Richard R said:

Likewise. Fortunately we also have a CCLI Song Select subscription so can download lead sheets too. If  I've never played the song before (even if I've sung it loads) I look at that to figure out what beat the chord change is supposed to be on 🙂

I hasten to add, we have CCLI licence/subscription/membership or whatever!

I find a lot of time is spent moving between the I and IV chords behind someone speaking. Walk on the Wild Side works well in this context. 

Another favourite bass line to insert is Black Coffee in Bed by Squeeze. 

• Haha 1

I went a bit disco octaves this morning and instantly regretted it, but I had to keep going because you cannot commit to a line and then change it halfway through the second bar. 

On the 20th anniversary of his death, I sneaked Jaco's melody from "A Remark You Made" into "Fight For Your Right To Party" at a pub gig in Swindon. Dozens of people noticed and came up to tell me afterwards. Part of this is a lie.

Edited by arthurhenry
  • Haha 2

There's a bit in the Proclaimer's "500 Miles" where there is a stop for 2 bars before we go into the final choruses so I use it to add in whatever tunes I've been listening to or just for the hell of it. They range from Popeye to Enter Sandman but last night I decided to play a section of the big run on the Chili's "Johnny Kick a Hole in the Sky"

The look on our singer's face was priceless. I don't think she knew what to make of it so I'll be having a think about next week's musical interlude.

There was another band I used to dep with and part of a medley they did was Sex Machine by James Brown. One night the drummer came in with a slightly different pattern to normal so I ended up playing What is Hip

On 09/05/2019 at 12:55, Richard R said:

Some of the church bassists on this site will know the song "Lord I lift your name on high" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COQ6cni_TG8 ) .
We sing it a bit quicker than that YouTube version (which isn't great, sorry) , and frequently with the bass line to "Summer Nights" from "Grease" running through. I'm sure I've heard Johnny B Goode in the past, 

This is utterly sacrilegious! Any devout, self respecting Christian bass player should know that the bass line to The Steve Miller Band’s The Joker should be played under the verse of Lord I Lift Your Name On High.

and Paul Oakley’s Because Of You (There’s a place where the streets shine) works perfectly as a pastiche of Alright Now by Free!

• Like 2

On 09/05/2019 at 17:11, operative451 said:

As a totally non-religiony person it totally throws me when i see some complex pedalboard setup on instagram tagged with #worshipchurch or something...! When did churches go metal?! :D

A brief history of modern worship music...

• In the 1970s the evangelical wing of the church got into folk and folk rock (but not the good stuff)
  • In the 80s they got into schmaltzy MOR
  • In the 90s they got into Joshua Tree era U2
  • In the 2000s they got into Coldplay
  • In the 2010s they mixed it up a bit with different ones getting into indie rock, shoegaze, EDM, Mumford & Sons (or whatever retro “Best Of” someone got for Christmas).

There are a few tunes that they play at the end of church while we have coffee that always make me double take and say, “Oh, is that a track by...”

Mike and the Mechanics?

Tears for Fears?

The Mumfords

Sash!?

And there’s one that’s a dead ringer for So era Peter Gabriel but I just can’t recall it now...

Edited by TrevorR

eek.... :D Think i'll stick with the Manson stuff.. :D Again, not to derail and with care for the 'no religion' clause, Hillsong are not known for being down with the gayage! Which is kind of ironic because they all sound like Eurovision entries (aka the LGBTQWhateverWeAreThisWeekIForget olympics).. ;D

• Haha 1

End of the second page and no mention of Stryper yet? I saw them at Santa Monica Civic Audiorium back in 1987 and narrowly missed catching a bible. :)

But, for Christian rock you canna beat King's X. Their deity is strongly in evidence if you listen with a churchy ear - but he keeps his head down, allowing heathens like myself to enjoy the music too.