Why become a member? ×

Mods: Could Bass For Sale threads be separated into 4 and 5+ strings?

Bass Culture

Just a thought but I am fairly regularly excited by bass FS posts only to find that the object of my lust has one too many strings (and 5 players I'm sure find the same thing).  Would there be any merit, do we think, in splitting FS threads in '4 strings FS' and '5+ strings FS' (for example?  If there's no great appetite elsewhere then it's obviously not an issue others less OCD than myself share! :)

• Like 4

I don't think that the forum necessarily needs to be split, but I think that there should be more enforced use of the existing tagging system. If every single post had to either have a "4 string", "5 string", "6 string" etc tag before it could be submitted, then it would be very easy to filter to the ones you're interested in. At the moment, the fact that only 10% of posts have any tags at all makes it more or less useless. If there were a new automated rule that all listings had to have at least a certain number of tags (3? 5?) then it would be so much more useful.

S.P.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stylon Pilson said:

I don't think that the forum necessarily needs to be split, but I think that there should be more enforced use of the existing tagging system. If every single post had to either have a "4 string", "5 string", "6 string" etc tag before it could be submitted, then it would be very easy to filter to the ones you're interested in. At the moment, the fact that only 10% of posts have any tags at all makes it more or less useless. If there were a new automated rule that all listings had to have at least a certain number of tags (3? 5?) then it would be so much more useful.

S.P.

I've often thought this, also it would be good to include a tag for fretted/fretless too...

I don't think we can make tags mandatory so it's currently up to the seller to take advantage of them. However I am looking at adding one selling tips to payment receipts and will mention about using tags in there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

I don't think we can make tags mandatory so it's currently up to the seller to take advantage of them.

At the moment, it seems like sellers are taking the viewpoint that there is no advantage to using tags. What is the advantage supposed to be?

S.P.

11 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

At the moment, it seems like sellers are taking the viewpoint that there is no advantage to using tags. What is the advantage supposed to be?

S.P.

They're searchable, and clicking on one will show other topics with the same tag. In a tagged thread. ones with similar tags will be shown in a preview on the RHS of the screen.

I suppose also they're a quick way to highlight key things about a topic.

They're designed and implemented by the people who make the software so we're limited in what we can do by their design, and it's not something important enough for us to break out and custom code for specific behaviour just yet.

Very not. 😂

The problem being that it would require ads to have extra fields to be filtered into and you know how long it took us to get a location field sorted - it’s unbelievably complicated unless at some point the software providers add support for it at consumer level.  

I seriously do not see how seperating 4 from 5, fretted from fretless or whatever would be particularly beneficial for all forum members.... some might like it, others like the ability to browse the entire spectrum. We could not possibly cater for everyone’s wishes on splits so to me keeping them all under basses for sale makes sense. 

Edited by HazBeen

Sunburst (any burst) guitars should be put in their own grubby little thread where they can't offend me. I've lost count of the number of times (at least twice) I've read the description and told myself "I've always wanted one of them".

I open the thread and see that the price is right, "NOW you've got my attention".

It's not a million miles away, "could this be the one?"

Scroll down the first image to reveal the headstock..."yes'm"... neck... "yep, it's a neck"... body... "no chance"

It damn well breaks my heart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/05/2019 at 17:47, Shambo said:

Sunburst (any burst) guitars should be put in their own grubby little thread where they can't offend me. I've lost count of the number of times (at least twice) I've read the description and told myself "I've always wanted one of them".

I open the thread and see that the price is right, "NOW you've got my attention".

It's not a million miles away, "could this be the one?"

Scroll down the first image to reveal the headstock..."yes'm"... neck... "yep, it's a neck"... body... "no chance"

It damn well breaks my heart.

Anything with "tort" shouldn't be allowed to be listed at all but instead burnt in some sort of ceremonial ceremony of some description.

Seriously though, without keyboard spamming, you should use as many words as you can in the title. This encourages more people to look at the listing as they know exactly what it is. Brand, model, year (if possible), colour, number of strings, country of origin and fretted/fretless should be in the title

On 09/05/2019 at 19:23, FinnDave said:

As a six string player, I would be deeply offended by being lumped in with all those common or garden five string chaps. 🤪🤩

On 10/05/2019 at 09:12, Hellzero said:

I'm into 7 strings now, I should then have to watch these ugly Fender fivers too. 🤣

And why not dividing into fretted and fretless ? 😁

If the Almighty had intended basses to have more than 5 strings surely he / she would have given us more fingers? 😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 2