Why become a member? ×

5th string short scale

lowlandtrees

I have a 5 string short scale Ibanez Artcore.  Problem is that the B tension is so loose that it is unusable. It is size 150 but I cannot remember the manufacturer. Will try and find the wrap. My question is whether different string sizes in B strings have differing tensions and if so which one has the highest tension?

12 hours ago, eude said:

Newtone strings are your friends here, custom made to your specific requirements. Give them a shout, but keep in mind a good setup will really work wonders too.

Eude

Thanks will have a look. Had the bass set up. I just don’t think that the scale is long enough for a standard B string. The 150 on it looks massive compared to the others but it is still too loose to use

3 minutes ago, lowlandtrees said:

Thanks will have a look. Had the bass set up. I just don’t think that the scale is long enough for a standard B string. The 150 on it looks massive compared to the others but it is still too loose to use

I play 31.5" scale 6 string basses with custom strings, with a 125 taperwound B and it works perfectly. I reckon some custom strings are likely the way forward then.

Eude

I am after one of those. 

I had a 5 string 30” last year (a messinger) and I got new tone strings via recommendations on here. There was no flap pines with the strings, they were pretty well perfect.

just looked it up, they were Diamond bass 5 string NPS HEX .050­.135 30” Short Scale

Edited by Woodinblack

• 5 weeks later...
Guest ixlramp
On 09/05/2019 at 09:54, lowlandtrees said:

My question is whether different string sizes in B strings have differing tensions and if so which one has the highest tension?

The actual (scientific) tension is determined by the string mass, which is mostly determined by the gauge. So there's no substitute for a large gauge.

However, if the string is made to be stiffer (stiffness is independent of, and completely different to, tension) it will be less floppy, and 'feel tighter' for the same tension. However, tone will suffer. A .150 will already be quite stiff due to its large gauge. So increasing gauge or increasing stiffness will make tone worse.

I recommend playing more gently and trying to reduce gauge and tension to gain flexibility. A .150 on your 30.3" has 38lbs tension which is actually a common tension for a B string, it's not low tension.

I'm assuming the .150 is an all-metal roundwound?

If you need a high tension B you should use a 35"+ scale bass.

Setup will make no difference to string tension, stiffness or floppiness.

Edited by ixlramp

7 minutes ago, therealting said:

The ratio of core to wrap makes a difference, which is where a custom maker like Newtone comes in. 

Absolutely, I get strings for my 31.5" scale basses wound with thicker cores to get back some of the tension lost by going shorter, and it works beautifully without having to go for a seriously heavy gauge.

Eude

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Drax said:

How does a thicker core affect the sound / tone of the string ? 

It doesn't as far as I can tell. I guess there might be something more subtle going on but I can't notice any difference at all.

Eude

Guest ixlramp
On 10/06/2019 at 21:48, eude said:

I get strings for my 31.5" scale basses wound with thicker cores to get back some of the tension lost by going shorter

Sorry to be pedantic, but tension, stiffness and 'how it feels' are confused with each other a lot.

What you mean is that you lost 'tension' due to the shorter scale, so you are using large core strings to add 'stiffness', which makes them 'feel tighter' and reduces floppiness. Larger cores do not add tension.

On 11/06/2019 at 06:41, eude said:

It doesn't as far as I can tell.

Generally it does though, larger cores create a stiffer string, which will have more 'inharmonicity' (harmonics more out of tune with the fundamental) and less sustain.

Edited by ixlramp

31 minutes ago, ixlramp said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but tension, stiffness and 'how it feels' are confused with each other a lot.

What you mean is that you lost 'tension' due to the shorter scale, so you are using large core strings to add 'stiffness', which makes them 'feel tighter' and reduces floppiness. Larger cores do not add tension.

Generally it does though, larger cores create a stiffer string, which will have more 'inharmonicity' (harmonics more out of tune with the fundamental) and less sustain.

Fair enough, all I know is that the changes I've made, going from 35", through 34", to 33" and finally to 31.5", haven't resulted in anything negative for me, and I enjoy playing even more now.

Eude