Why become a member? ×

Markbass combo, cables to drive speaker from external head

chickenjames

Hello all

I have a CMD121P and a NY121P.

I’d like to be able to use an external head to drive both speakers in case the built in head (Combo II = LMIII) packs up.

So - suggestions welcome please on cabling.

I have a TC BQ500 and I’d like to drive both the 12” in the combo and the 12” in the extension cab in one go. I’m not worried about impedance matching or power - this question is purely about cabling

Here are the connectors:

BQ500 has Speakon out

NY121P has a pair of combined Speakon/ 1/4” jack sockets

CMD121P has a captive 1/4 lead connected to the internal speaker, which plugs into the output 1/4” socket on the internal head. (The internal head also has a Speakon out).

So I can run a Speakon-Speakon from the BQ500 to the NY121P, fine.

But what cable would run from the NY121P to the 1/4” plug on the CMD121P internal speaker?

It doesn’t seem possible to buy a male speakon -> 1/4” socket cable. If anyone knows of one (or even a combination with adaptor and cable!) please can someone suggest it? Ideally with links to a UK shop where I can buy one.

OR - dangerous - can I run a speakon - speakon from the NY121P to the Speakon out on the combo internal head, and leave the captive 1/4” connected? Has anyone tried this?

help please.....

43 minutes ago, chickenjames said:

It doesn’t seem possible to buy a male speakon -> 1/4” socket cable. If anyone knows of one (or even a combination with adaptor and cable!) please can someone suggest it? Ideally with links to a UK shop where I can buy one.

Contact http://bassic-bits.co.uk/ , who is @obbm
He can surely make a speakon to female jack cable of high quality.

OR - dangerous - can I run a speakon - speakon from the NY121P to the Speakon out on the combo internal head, and leave the captive 1/4” connected?

Interesting idea.  The speakers would be connected correctly in parallel, but I'd worry that the external amp will be sending power into the combo amp, and that something would fry.

I wasn’t really serious about plugging into the socket on the amp... just wondering if anyone had tried it!

That amazon cable doesn’t work though - the 1/4” jack end is the wrong gender!

What I really need is one with a Speakon at one end, and a 1/4” SOCKET at the other end.

Anyone got any ideas?

On 09/05/2019 at 22:23, chickenjames said:

I wasn’t really serious about plugging into the socket on the amp... just wondering if anyone had tried it!

That amazon cable doesn’t work though - the 1/4” jack end is the wrong gender!

What I really need is one with a Speakon at one end, and a 1/4” SOCKET at the other end.

Anyone got any ideas?

Yes, use a 1/4 socket/socket adaptor.