Why become a member? ×

Auditions, Revisited

Bluewine

Open Discussion

There are quite a few new BC members that can add to this discussion.

Share any stories or thoughts or ideas from both sides of the fence.

What are your do's and dont's?

The pic, that's 1955 my mom is holding my hand taking me to my first gig.

Blue 

FB_IMG_1549249889641.jpg

• Like 4

I'll start by throwing this one out there.

If your auditioning for an established gigging band that will be putting money in you pocket , you don't come to an audition and proceed to tell everyone how to play.

Blue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Caution!

Be careful with any band that can't give specific songs to audition. Be cautious of any band that gives you they're entire set list and asked you to pick 4 songs to audition 

Blue

Cannot see any issue with this request if it’s a covers band.

If it’s an established gigging band, they would already know every song on the set list, giving the person auditioning their own choice of songs (in this case four) from the set list is a great idea.

The band would need to confirm the versions (formats) they play and what key if different from the originals.

6 hours ago, steantval said:

Cannot see any issue with this request if it’s a covers band.

If it’s an established gigging band, they would already know every song on the set list, giving the person auditioning their own choice of songs (in this case four) from the set list is a great idea.

The band would need to confirm the versions (formats) they play and what key if different from the originals.

Agreed,

However ,I'll tell you what has happened to me twice. I pick 3 or 4 songs and get to the audition and then it's,

"Oh we don't play those anymore"

Blue

The standard practice I've had on both occasions I've auditioned is to be given 6 songs to learn.  Then at the audition don't play those, but play 6/8 other songs. 

Pleased to hear others like being in bands, but I don't do bands.

Edited by Grangur

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Do remember that you’re auditioning them as much as they’re auditioning you. 

This. Plus, learn the 4 or 6 songs inside out so you are not a passenger, and be friendly and open with the other musicians. Do all you can to get the gig, If you decide after the audition its not for you, for whatever reason, at least you gave it your best and the lack of fit was not down to you. It shows how prepared and professional you are.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Agreed,

However ,I'll tell you what has happened to me twice. I pick 3 or 4 songs and get to the audition and then it's,

Blue

Well in that case they've failed their audition to be my band.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Agreed,

Blue

Happened to me too, was given a set list to learn for a dep gig, got to the first rehearsal, at least half of the songs I’d been given were no longer current. And it hadn’t been mentioned that I was expected to play guitar on s couple of songs as well. There and then my decision on depping was changed for evermore.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Don't come to an audition and start talking about politics and race around people you don't know.

Well, yes and no. If you're the kind of person who has very strong opinions about politics and race, and talks about them incessantly, then perhaps it's a good thing to do that at an audition. Let the other band members know what they might be letting themselves in for.

S.P.

• Like 2

If you review a band your interested in because you noticed several stellar musicians in the band. If that's the reason your interested make sure those musicians are still in the band before you audition.

I was going to audition for this hot contemporary country band because the guitarist was fantastic. When I spoke with the BL on the phone I found not only was that guitarist gone but at least 2 other members seen in the clip we're gone 

The ad did not make it clear the BL was trying to save a sinking ship.

Very common over here.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

7 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

Well, yes and no. If you're the kind of person who has very strong opinions about politics and race, and talks about them incessantly, then perhaps it's a good thing to do that at an audition. Let the other band members know what they might be letting themselves in for.

S.P.

He did let us know what we'd be letting ourselves in for and we decided not to move forward with him.

His comments were very offensive and had nothing to do with music.

Blue

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Happened to me too, was given a set list to learn for a dep gig, got to the first rehearsal, at least half of the songs I’d been given were no longer current. And it hadn’t been mentioned that I was expected to play guitar on s couple of songs as well. There and then my decision on depping was changed for evermore.

My first audition, which was a disaster, I was given a tape full fo songs. Spent a week trying to at least learn the basics of them with help from my little brother.

Turned up 'oh those were only to give you an idea of what sort of music we are into'. Expected me (who was a pretty basic bassist at this point) to slot in with their random noodling...

7 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

He did let us know what we'd be letting ourselves in for and we decided not to move forward with him.

His comments were very offensive and had nothing to do with music.

Just think how pisŝed off you'd be if instead he'd been "on his best behaviour" for the audition and you offered him the position.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I would avoid playing 6/8 songs unless you are auditioning for a prog band...

I could easily learn 6-8 standard rock covers, however 3-4 seems to be the standard around here.

A busy working band auditioning a lot of musicians for one spot, do they have time for multiple 8 song auditions?

Blue

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My first audition, which was a disaster, I was given a tape full fo songs. Spent a week trying to at least learn the basics of them with help from my little brother.

Turned up 'oh those were only to give you an idea of what sort of music we are into'. Expected me (who was a pretty basic bassist at this point) to slot in with their random noodling...

I've seen ads and bands that say;

" Let's Jam an see what happens."  Not a statement that would drive my interest but at the end of the day isn't that what it's about. Fitting in musically and personally.

Blue

Has this one ever happened to anyone.

You arrive at the audition and you realize your in the most dangerous " hood" in the city and your car is surrounded by crack heads.

Happened to me, I left and bailed on the audition. I was driving 90 miles per hour in 25 mile per hour zone until I saw the sign directing me back to the freeway. I was very frightened.

Conjure up an image of me making my getaway. Lol

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Has this one ever happened to anyone.

You arrive at the audition and you realize your in the most dangerous " hood" in the city and your car is surrounded by crack heads.

Happened to me, I left and bailed on the audition. I was driving 90 miles per hour in 25 mile per hour zone until I saw the sign directing me back to the freeway. I was very frightened.

Not at an audition but I did decide to take a shortcut through Washington DC because I was low on fuel rather than go on the freeway and find something later. Turns out it is a little more scary than I thought!

37 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I could easily learn 6-8 standard rock covers, however 3-4 seems to be the standard around here.

A busy working band auditioning a lot of musicians for one spot, do they have time for multiple 8 song auditions?

Blue

LOL! I meant 6/8 as against 4/4 🙂

• Like 1