Why become a member? ×

The most irritating bass (or guitar) You Tuber

I've seen a fair few people on YouTube and not had a massive problem with any of them. If I don't like their style, I simply move on. The great thing about this thread is 1) I hadn't come across any of these guys and 2) I avoided clicking the links! I don't know what I am doing right but hopefully I will keep on doing it.

• Like 2

It seems to be a modern phenomenon, if there's something you don't like/it annoys you/etc, instead of simply ignoring it and moving on, to publically comment about it on an internet forum. If people simply moved on to something better, then the bad ones would get fewer views (I believe the YouTube platform also monitors how much of a video is watched, not just if it were clicked on eg accidentally) and shuffle down the list of suggested videos (you know, the algorithm which puts suggestions on the home page or along the right hand side). People are intelligent too (well, some) and clickbait is fairly easy to avoid - or if not, shouldn't take too long to realise and not watch the whole thing.

If the rubbish wasn't continually stirred up, it would settle at the bottom.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

It seems to be a modern phenomenon, if there's something you don't like/it annoys you/etc, instead of simply ignoring it and moving on, to publically comment about it on an internet forum. If people simply moved on to something better, then the bad ones would get fewer views (I believe the YouTube platform also monitors how much of a video is watched, not just if it were clicked on eg accidentally) and shuffle down the list of suggested videos (you know, the algorithm which puts suggestions on the home page or along the right hand side). People are intelligent too (well, some) and clickbait is fairly easy to avoid - or if not, shouldn't take too long to realise and not watch the whole thing.

If the rubbish wasn't continually stirred up, it would settle at the bottom.

Except it's an international pastime to not ignore stuff that bugs us and to comment on it on public fora 😀. It's the life blood of the Internet without which would crash. Anyway, the rubbish still exists even if the those who don't like it ignore it as there are plenty who love it. The  serial gurner I identified in the OP has thousands of  👍 which outweigh the 👎

1 hour ago, DJpullchord said:

Why are you all so angry?

Because we are being left behind by a world that we no longer understand nor like, it's the same, generation after generation. I no longer understand nor like the things that the youth dig, why interact with it? It’s not for us. We are no longer ‘cutting edge’, I’d venture we’re not even relevant. I’m content doing my own thing, very little of which would be understood nor appreciated by young people, that’s ok, it’s the natural order of things.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2019 at 14:41, Newfoundfreedom said:

I discovered these by accident quite recently and it was a proper "What the actual f#@k" moment. First of all I honestly can't believe that anyone is so narcissistic that they film themselves listening to a song and think anyone gives a flying rats donkey what their (usually staged) reaction is. Secondly why would anyone on the planet actually be interesting in watching it. Well, other than me obviously, but that was just because I had to watch two or three just to get my head around what was (or rather wasn't) going on. I mean Jesus H Mary mother of Santa. Is that really what passes for entertainment these days? 

Gogglebox

On 09/05/2019 at 09:45, musicbassman said:

Bl***y clickbait, I hate it.

Aaaarrrgghhhh!!! – I RUINED my $300,000  1954 Precision with this one simple mistake!

How to play your best bass lines ever with this cheap kitchen gadget !!!

Top Ten bass mistakes that even the Pros make !!!

Unboxing my new 17 string bass ??  Whoops !!

Learn this one simple bass fingering pattern to make sure you get the chicks at every gig !!!!

I play my bass with my massive spanner!!   You won't believe this!! Watch what happens !!!

etc, etc.....  😨

You forgot the classic "why i hate my $300,000 1954 precision!"

:D

• Like 1

On 08/05/2019 at 16:12, Barking Spiders said:

I watch quite a lot of bass, guitar and drum vids on YT. In some cases, the YTers are quite good. In many they're so-so. In some  they're just fooking, downright irritating. Taking the #1 spot is this guitar geek. Sure he can play well but boy does his presenting style grate. Maybe it's me but I can't handle manic. I can't abide manic stand-ups like Michael McIntyre, Lee Evans, Robin Williams and Keith Lemon either. Over to you

WTF? Best avoid I think 😂 

Edited by mattbass6

I think they forget the point of the review (i.e. what it is they're trying to show you) and start showing you their chops. Some are just adverts basically and don't give you any negatives about what they're trying to review, so its impossible to make an informed choice. 

On 10/05/2019 at 20:59, ribbetingfrog said:

This thread just makes me think of grumpy old men moaning about not understanding the youth of today 😀

I was just thinking the same. The comment about people thinking YouTube is a career, if it pays well then why can't it be? I'm sure a generation or two ago had the same thoughts about I.T. Playing on computers isn't a career. 

As for annoying people on YouTube, I find not watching their videos does the trick. In general, not engaging with annoying people makes them far less annoying. 

1 hour ago, Maude said:

I was just thinking the same. The comment about people thinking YouTube is a career, if it pays well then why can't it be? I'm sure a generation or two ago had the same thoughts about I.T. Playing on computers isn't a career.

...similarly, how many of us have had to convince somebody that actually, making music can be a career if you're making money from it?

• Like 1

On 03/07/2019 at 10:05, Aidan63 said:

Gogglebox

Exactly! 

I watched it once for about 5 minutes after a mate of mine told me how hilarious it was. 

What a load of utter tosh. A TV show not worth watching, full of wannabe realty TV "stars" hamming it up whilst watching TV shows not worth watching. 

I really do despair of the mentality of a world that considers that entertainment. 

Then again, I stopped watching television when TOWIE became a thing. Talk about the dumbing down of society. 

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I guess you must have mentioned or clicked on something - I have never seen that guy before.

True, maybe coz I clicked some SBL or Beato or other stuff or something. However, I can honestly say I've never clicked on one of his videos - half a second of the autoplay preview is more than enough for my stomach. 

Maybe the FB algorithm just hates me? :D