Why become a member? ×

Castors - On or Off ?

dmccombe7

Got a Mesa Powerhouse 212 cab and Berg HT322 cab both with castors. I generally leave them on when playing.

Is there a right or wrong way ?

What difference does it make taking them off. ?

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

The mesa cab has removable ones with a press button to release and it sits on rubber feet when removed.

The Berg cab are the ush in type but they come off too

Putting the cabs on their side looks a bit naff to me with the badges on their sides :D

Dave

38 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

What difference does it make taking them off. ?

It makes a difference to the contact area between the cab and the stage.  That in turn affects the coupling of the cab.  More surface area equals more coupling.  It often makes a difference to the sound but it depends somewhat on what the stage flooring is made of.

PS:  Turning them on their side may not allow them to work as intended if they're supplied with rubber feet.  If you have locking castors, try leaving them on for your next performance.  The worst that can happen is that you have to fiddle with your eq a bit more.

Edited by SpondonBassed

Oddly enough i just found a thread on this very subjet on another well known bass forum and the conclusion from some cab / acoustics experts is that it won't make a huge difference and not worth removing and you should be able to EQ the sound you want because its a negligable difference. 

One acoustics expert state that because its only a few inches from the floor the bass frequencies will still resonate across the floor. It would make a difference if that height off the floor was over 12" tho. Bit to scientific for me i have to admit but general concensus was that most people just leave them on.

Some guys remove them but leave them on if its a boomy stage as it isolates the bass cab more.

Ah well might just leave them on.

If you look at Orange cabs they specifically mention the wooden struts coupling with the floor to gain better low end.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Boundary effect is more noticeable than physical coupling with the stage (unless the stage happens to be hollow and very resonant). You have to have your cabs several feet away from floor, walls and ceiling to break the boundary effect.

15 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Some guys remove them but leave them on if its a boomy stage as it isolates the bass cab more.

I do this. Cab lives in a flight case so no castors on the cab itself, and I prefer the sound of the cab on the stage floor. Should it be very boomy I just leave it in the 'tray' of the flight case (ie - on wheels) and it sorts things. Some guys like the use of the Gramma pads to isolate the boom too.