Why become a member? ×

Cheltenham Jazz festival

Saw the Bad Plus on Sunday, I thoroughly enjoyed them, interesting, engaging and entertaining in equal measure. Great sound quality too. Anyone else go?

Joshua Redman at the Town Hall was terrific too.

I don't want to restart the annual "it's not jazz" thing, but James Morrison, Katie Melua?

I was lucky enough to play on one of the stages in the middle of town. I love Cheltenham jazz so it was a real treat for me! 

Sadly had another gig that night so didn’t have time to hang. I guess British acts with big names that would please the non-jazz orientated locals was the notion behind the KM JM inclusion... 

Yep, I saw TBP too. Really enjoyed it - quite challenging at times, and my wife said it “felt like being physically assaulted” and made her really angry too. She’s not a musician, BTW 😉

We saw Kizzy Crawford and Yola too - both “not jazz” but very enjoyable nonetheless. 

I was was a bit disappointed at the line up this year, but I suppose they have to balance pleasing the hardcore with actually selling tickets and accessibility. My highlight was Billy Cobham a few years ago. 

3 minutes ago, Davo-London said:

My wife says that Weather Report sounds like several musicians playing their own tune plus there's no melody.  She can't understand why TBP would want to disguise the tune they're covering.

I mean, where do you start ...

Davo

My better half’s criticism mainly stems from there being “no words” to sing along to...

We we could have done L42 or Incognito and that’d probably have been fine, but I just fancied some “proper” jazz! Next year I’ll suggest she and the boy go shopping in the more “jazz” end of the spectrum and I’ll go as Billy no mates!

4 hours ago, Jakester said:

We saw Kizzy Crawford and Yola too - both “not jazz” but very enjoyable nonetheless. 

We're going to see Yola in a couple of weeks, so good to know. I got the album, really good.

I'm a way away from Cheltenham these days but I lived there when the festival first started and was run by Jim Smith. The acts were a lot more jazz centric then and in the first few years it was brilliant, loads of A list global acts and many more top UK players to.

Also a really good fringe scene, plenty of scope to gig and hang generally.

Shame if it's a bit more commercial these days but I guess like all things these festivals change and evolve over time. Great news that it's still going frankly even if the odd 'mainstreamer' slips under the radar! There are some really nice venues so long may it continue

Yup, festivals evolve, not always for the best. I'm old enough to remember when Reading was still called the National Jazz, Blues and Rock Festival. It was all in sepia then, mind.

• Haha 1