Why become a member? ×

Get Ernie on the phone now

Fishman

How do the Chinese get away with building and selling blatant counterfeits? Do copyright laws only apply in certain countries or something? 

Mr Hall's flying monkeys get all over private, individual sales on ebay etc, yet seem to ignore the abundance of Chinese sellers on Ali-express and the like. 

This is a genuine question, not a troll. 

11 hours ago, Maude said:

How do the Chinese get away with building and selling blatant counterfeits? Do copyright laws only apply in certain countries or something? 

Mr Hall's flying monkeys get all over private, individual sales on ebay etc, yet seem to ignore the abundance of Chinese sellers on Ali-express and the like. 

This is a genuine question, not a troll. 

From what I've read, the Chinese government officially recognises copyrights, but is not active in this, prioritising export revenue.
Then there's the structure of production. Thousands upon thousands of little factories in the hinterlands that are moved to other unfindable places in those hinterlands as soon as they become wary of any pressure. Reportedly, one only has to move a few miles away from the East coast before being in the middle of this, but it's said the government does not have the overview or control.

From own experience within Hi-Fi and kayaks, there's also an endless stream of info, plans, tools and copies of molds going between family and friends, this complicating the matter further.

Went into a guitar shop (not naming names) where a used 4005 was hanging, had the “name” on the headstock taped over. 

Played great, looked cooler than a cool thing, and was £200. 

Shop owner was very clear it was Far East copy. I didn’t buy it as I have enough basses (1), but it was tempting. Who knows how much the factory workers get paid, or how much it costs to churn these out, but it’s probably not a lot. 

6 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Who knows how much the factory workers get paid, or how much it costs to churn these out, but it’s probably not a lot. 

On the 'not a lot' subject, I hot-desked for a subcontractor at a very well know Chinese telecoms business and one of the Chinese girlies I used to deal with said she would expect to be paid £250 a month tops there for a job she was being paid six or seven times more for over here.  The company regularly rotates staff back to China, so I asked her one time what she would do when she went back, she just said, 'Oh, I won't go back, I'll just run.'

Thing is, cost of living is quite comparative to what they get paid - I'm not being at all flippant here, but certainly out 'in the country', where she was from, £250 (or the equivalent) goes an awful lot further than £1,500 would here.

• Like 3

Counterfeiting is a major thorn in the side of particularly manufacturers of high end goods of all types. From trainers to perfume to high end watches - often with meticulously copied packaging. It's often sold through criminal outlets. 

I'm not sure how big the counterfeiting of instruments is but they generally seem unlikely to fool a knowledgable buyer (yet) and I have read about manufacturers going after retailers  selling this rubbish - having goods confiscated. Which is what the (reviled by some) Rickenbacker do amongst other firms. 

Curiously Fender don't seem to bother generally - which gives the impression they don't feel obliged to look after customers of their instruments - funny old world, no one seems to complain about that approach!!