Why become a member? ×

Bridge quandary

So I’ve just secured another early 00’s bb (I know there are newer ones, but I like these)

my 414 is great, and came with a schaller 2000-4 bridge retrofitted by the original owner.

so I set about finding another 2000-4 so I can just get them set up and playing the same, I’ve been happy with it...they’re discontinued.

There are still some about, they’re £80 at Thomann plus €10 shipping.

I then set about looking at the omega bridges which are the repro Badass II ones. I used to have them on a lot of my basses when I was out touring.

they’re £58 each plus €10

SHOULD I...

Sell existing 2000 (probably £60?)

buy 2 omegas (overall spend £67 once schaller sells)

get another schaller £90.

I’ve answered my own question I think...

Edited by AndyTravis

Do the Omega have adjustable spacing, and indeed do you use that on the 2000 or is it just set at 19mm?

I have a few 2000, both 4 and 5 string, and the flexibility of spacing is the whole point to me. Even on the 4 string I can get 17 or 16.5mm easily.

• Thanks 1

I have used BadAss l's, ll's & lll's, and I really like them! I've even replaced MIA Fender P bridges with with thro-body BadAss lll. It's really not a great deal of work to file the ungrooved bridge string seats to suit your own preferred spacing. If I were you I would go for the Omega for consistency and your OCD. I must say though that the Fender High Mass bridge on my MIM  FSR PJ is rather good.

1 hour ago, JohnDaBass said:

I have used BadAss l's, ll's & lll's, and I really like them! I've even replaced MIA Fender P bridges with with thro-body BadAss lll. It's really not a great deal of work to file the ungrooved bridge string seats to suit your own preferred spacing. If I were you I would go for the Omega for consistency and your OCD. I must say though that the Fender High Mass bridge on my MIM  FSR PJ is rather good.

May well do it, can’t have a fender bridge on Yamaha basses - ocd would flip out 😉

• Haha 2

Andy! Have a look at at the Hipshot Kickass! (£75) Just like the badass but with a lot more adjustability (no need to cut the grooves) they have inserts that can be adjusted. I replaced my 25 year old badass with one on my jazz and i love it.

Id like a better bridge on my 424 as i hate  BBOT Bridges! Has anyone any idea if the badass 3 would work on a string through Yamaha!

Edited by lee650

On 08/05/2019 at 11:49, AndyTravis said:

Ah now...I forgot about those - @lee650 would this suit your need?

I had one on my fender Nate Mendel great bridge!! I thought they were a fender retrofit and won't work on a Yamaha! The above pic proves otherwise (very cool bass BTW) you would only be able to string through the bridge and not the body!

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

They’re a dear do though - as much as the schaller I was struggling to justify.

might get 2 x gotoh 201b’s had one on another fender and really liked it and I had one on my peavey G bass...

Yeah they cost more than the kickass too! £75 I think

11 minutes ago, lee650 said:

I had one on my fender Nate Mendel great bridge!! I thought they were a fender retrofit and won't work on a Yamaha! The above pic proves otherwise (very cool bass BTW) you would only be able to string through the bridge and not the body!

There is a string through option I believe but I wasn't aware of it at the time.

I quite like the quick release.