Why become a member? ×

Ramp for A Jazz Bass

After gigging this weekend I am finding that I am having trouble finding the best place to put my thumb when I am playing. On the Sterling, the pickup is right where I was to play but on the Jazz I want to be somewhere between the pickups.

I had thought about a thumb rest of some kind but am thinking that a ramp might be the solution.

Does anyone know where I could source one or have one made?

It's a black Geddy Jazz and I'm not too bothered whether or not it follows the radius of the fretboard but would prefer it to be either black or clear.

I understand that they can be home made but am completely hopeless when it comes to making anything

I have dealt with this guy in Spain - he's a luthier and bass builder. He sells direct and through e-bay. Links below for ramps, although I have not personally bought one. I have bought some Hipshot stuff from him and everything worked out OK.

He makes them with radius in wood of your choice (ebony in your case) and polycarbonate. Just measure the gap between the bridge and neck pups carefully.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ebony-ramp-for-Jazz-Bass-with-radius-72mm-or-73mm-spacing-83mm-in-ash-or-wenge/261846956314?hash=item3cf74b791a:g:KWsAAOSwymxVKQtv

http://egilegorbasses.com/egilegorbassesshop/en/home/65-blackwood-ramp-for-jazz-bass.html

It was his listing that gave me an idea to check out online perspex companies. I liked the idea of the using the pickup screws to secure it so I have bought some black 5mm thick perspex cut to size and will drill the holes myself.

I've bought a few pieces just in case I make a mess of it